Troubleshooting in a full-scale wastewater treatment plant: what can be learnt from tracer tests
- 63 Downloads
The experimental assessment of the actual reactor hydrodynamic behavior is aimed at detecting possible deviations from the design configuration, as well as suggesting corrective/improving modifications, efficacy of which can be also assessed in the aftermath. The hydrodynamic scheme can be defined by means of tracer tests (stimulus–response method) used for detecting the residence time distribution curve. This study shows the results of three hydrodynamic tests performed on a wastewater treatment plant half-line, in which a biological process (denitrification and oxidation–nitrification) is carried out. Hydrodynamic faults (in terms of dead space and/or flow bypass) were identified, and consequent actions suggested (i.e., change in submerged mixers orientation in the reactors; sinking of the final section of the sludge recirculation pipe below the free surface to avoid foaming phenomena; introduction of new mixed liquor recirculation lines). These actions, together with a careful selection of wastes to be treated, led to an improvement of the overall process performance.
KeywordsHydrodynamic analysis Retention time distribution analysis Dead space Flow bypass Biological process
Authors wish to thank ASMia S.r.l. for giving technical and financial support to the experimental research.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bertanza G, Collivignarelli C (2012) Impianti di trattamento acque: verifiche di funzionalità e collaudo. Manuale operativo. [Wastewater treatment plants: performing tests. Operative manual]. Editore Ulrico Hoepli Milano (in Italian) Google Scholar
- Bridgeman J, Jefferson B, Parsons SA (2009) Computational fluid dynamics modelling of flocculation in water treatment: a review. Eng Appl Comput Fluid Mech 3(2):220–241Google Scholar
- Collivignarelli C, Bertanza G, Bina S (1995) La verifica idrodinamica nel trattamento delle Acque-Basi teoriche, procedure di applicazione, esempi. [The hydrodynamic test in the water treatment—theoretical bases, application procedures, examples]. Collana Ambiente, volume 8. CIPA Ed., Milano (in Italian) Google Scholar
- Italian Parliament (2006) Decreto Legislativo 3 aprile 2006, n. 152—Norme in materia ambientale [Legislative Decree 3rd April 2006, n. 152—code on the environment]. Official Gazette of the Italian Republic (in Italian) Google Scholar
- Levenspiel O (1999) Chemical reaction engineering, 3rd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Manenti S, Todeschini S, Collivignarelli MC, Abbà A (2017a) CFD-aided modelling for hydrodynamic analysis of biological reactor. Eur Water 58:47–51Google Scholar