Review on applications of particle swarm optimization in solar energy systems
- 83 Downloads
Solar energy is one of the most important factors used in the development of the countries. Since it is a renewable energy source, it reduces the demand on the non-renewable energy sources such as fossil fuels, oil, natural gas, nuclear, and other sources. Therefore, many researchers have sought to improve the performance of solar energy systems via applying several metaheuristic methods such as particle swarm optimization (PSO) which simulates the behavior of the fish schools or bird flocks. PSO has been used in different applications including engineering, manufacturing, and medicine. The main process of the PSO is to determine the optimal position for each particle inside the population. This is performed through updating the position using the velocity of each particle and the shared information between the particles. The aim of this paper is to provide a review on the PSO’s applications to improve the performance of solar energy systems and to identify the research gap for future work. The literature review used in this study indicates that the PSO is a very promising method to enhance the performance of solar energy systems.
KeywordsSolar energy Metaheuristic methods Particle swarm optimization Solar collectors Solar cells Photovoltaic/thermal systems Solar stills
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declared that there is no conflict of interest.
- Biglarian H, Saidi MH, Abbaspour M (2018) Economic and environmental assessment of a solar-assisted ground source heat pump system in a heating-dominated climate. Int J Environ Sci Technol 1–8Google Scholar
- Hadidian-Moghaddam MJ, Arabi-Nowdeh S, Bigdeli M, Azizian D (2017) A multi-objective optimal sizing and siting of distributed generation using ant lion optimization technique. Ain Shams Eng J. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2017.03.001
- Hamid NFA, Rahim NA, Selvaraj J (2013) Solar cell parameters extraction using particle swarm optimization algorithm. In: 2013 IEEE conference on clean energy and technology (CEAT), 18–20 Nov. 2013, pp 461–465Google Scholar
- Kennedy J, Eberhart R (1995) Particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on neural networks, 1995, vol 4, Nov/Dec 1995, pp 1942–1948Google Scholar
- Mansour FA, Nizam M, Anwar M (2017) Prediction of the optimum surface orientation angles to achieve maximum solar radiation using Particle Swarm Optimization in Sabha City Libya. In: IOP conference series: materials science and engineering, vol 176, p 012029Google Scholar
- Sawant PT, Bhattar CL (2016) Optimization of PV system using particle swarm algorithm under dynamic weather conditions. In: 2016 IEEE 6th international conference on advanced computing (IACC), 27–28 Feb. 2016, pp 208–213Google Scholar