Sound characteristics of Terapon Fish (Terapon jorbua) as a response to temperature changes
The change in water temperature has a potential impact on the behavior of aquatic animal including fish which was generated by their sound productivity and characteristics. This research aimed to study the response of sound productivity and characteristics of Terapon jorbua to temperature change. As a response to temperature increases, Terapon jorbua have decreased the number of sound productivity. Two characteristic parameters of fish sound, i.e., intensity and frequency were quadratically increased during the water temperature rises. In contrast, pulse duration was quadratically decreased.
KeywordsSound productivity Intensity Frequency Pulse duration Temperature
Authors gratefully acknowledge to Directorate General of Higher Education—Indonesian Ministry of Education and Cultural (DIKTI—KEMENDIKBUD) for financial support of this research (Hibah Doktor, Grant Number: 2538.16/UN23.10/PN/2013).
- Brantley RK, Bass AH (1994) Alternative male spawning tactics an acoustic signals in the plainfin midshipman fish Porichthys notatus Girard (Teleostei, Batrachoididae). Ethology 96:213–232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0310.1994.tb01011.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Connaughton MA, Taylor MH, Fine ML (2000) Effects of fish size and temperature on weakfish disturbance calls: implications for the mechanism of sound generation. J Exp Biol 203:1503–1512Google Scholar
- Johnston IA, Lee HT, Macqueen DJ, Paaranthaman K, Kawashima C, Anwar A Jr, Kinghorn JR (2009) Embrionic temperature affects muscle fiber recuitment in adult zebrafish: genome-wide changes in gene and MicroRNA expression assosiated with the transition from hyperplastic to hypertrophic growth phenotypes. J Exp Biol 212(Pt12):1781–1793. https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.029918 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ladich F (1988) Sound production by the dudgeon Gobio gobio (a Common European Freshwater Fish (Cyprinidae, Teleostei). J Fish Biol 32:707–715. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1988.tb05411.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Meyer JL, Sale MJ, Mulholand PJ, Poff NL (1999) Impacts of climate change on aquatic ecosystem functioning and health. J Am Water Resour Assoc 35(6):1373–1386. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1999.tb04222.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moyle PB, Cech JJ (2004) Fishes: an introduction to ichthyology, 5th edn. Prentice Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar