Determination of metals in Greek wines
- 62 Downloads
This work aims the study and determination of three different metals (lead, zinc and copper) from various geographical regions of Greece, comparing professional and amateur vinification. Sample wines (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Xinomavro, Moscato Hamburg, Agiorgitiko, Vidiano, Vilana, Robola) from 9 different viticulture regions of Greece were collected. The most significant result was that the in amateur winemaking, an increased content of metals existed compared to that of professional vinification. Also, an important finding was that in some cases (amateur vinification), the metals concentration was much higher than that defined in legislation. This was probably due to some old instruments of amateur winemakers.
KeywordsHeavy metals Wine Copper Zinc Lead
All winemakers (professional and amateurs) who gave their wine samples for analysis.
F. Papageorgiou designed the sampling and also contributed to writing. K. Karampatea and A. C. Mitropoulos contributed to writing, and G. Z. Kyzas had the whole supervision of this work, making the ICP-MS analysis and writing sections of this paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Cavazza A, Franciosi E, Pojer M, Mattivi F (2007) Washing the grapes before crushing: Effects on contaminants and fermentation. Bulletin de l’ OIV 80:483–496Google Scholar
- (EC), C.R. Maximum levels for certain contaminants in foodstuffs. 2006, No 1881/2006Google Scholar
- Jaulmes P, Hamelle G, Le RJ (1960) plomb dans les mofits et les vins. Ann Technol Agric 9:189–245Google Scholar
- Kunkee RE, Eschnauer HR (2003) Wine, vol 39, 6th edn. Wiley-VCH, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- Maria C, Cotea V, Luchian C, Marius N, Colibaba C (2014) Influence of pre-fermentative treatments on the composition of ‘tămâioasă românească’ and ‘aligoté’ wines. Mitteilungen Klosterneuburg 64:1–8Google Scholar
- Medina B (1978) These de doctorat de’universite de bordeaux iiGoogle Scholar
- OIV (2006) Compendium of international analysis of methods - oiv criteria for the methods of quantification of lead. Method OIV-MA-AS322-312Google Scholar
- OIV (2009) Compendium of international methods of analysis-oiv zinc. Method OIV-MA-AS322-308Google Scholar
- OIV (2009) Compendium of international methods of analysis—oiv copper. Method OIV-MA-AS322-306Google Scholar
- OIV (2017) Oiv statistical report on world vitiviniculture, 2017 world vitiviniculture situation. http://www.oiv.int/public/medias/5479/oiv-en-bilan-2017.pdf
- Pohl P (2007) What do metals tell us about wine? Trends Anal Chem 26. Article ID 9Google Scholar
- Ribéreau-Gayon P, Glories Y, Maujean A, Durboridieu D (1998) Traite d’oenologie. Chimie du vin. Stabilisation and traitements 2:119–122Google Scholar
- Teisseidre P.-L (1993) These de doctorat de l’universite de montpellier iGoogle Scholar