Influence of amine functionalized graphene oxide on mechanical and thermal properties of epoxy matrix composites
- 30 Downloads
A new approach for synthesized amine functionalized graphene oxide (AFGO) was used by diethylenetriamine as a reducing or functionalizing agent. The purpose of this work is to determine the effect of AFGO on the mechanical and thermal properties of epoxy nanocomposites. In addition, the optimization of various weight percentages of AFGO was carried out. Physical and chemical characterizations were also reported to determine the effects of AFGO. The structure and morphology of the AFGO nanosheets were confirmed by fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, energy dispersive spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction analysis, and field emission scanning electron microscopy. Successful formation of amide bonds through graphene oxide (GO) sheet functionalization was proved by characterizations. Solution blending, as a simple method, was used for composite formation. The mechanical and thermal properties of the epoxy/AFGO composites were assessed. There was increment in tensile strength by 67%, flexural strength by 51%, and impact strength by 152% at 0.3 wt% loading of AFGO in epoxy composites. Similarly, the increment in hardness was also observed from 0.1 to 0.3 wt% of AFGO loading. The glass transition temperature of epoxy/AFGO nanocomposites effectively improved from 88.4 to 97.3 °C. The thermal stability of epoxy/AFGO nanocomposite increased from 351 to 358 °C.
KeywordsAmine functionalized graphene oxide Epoxy resin Nanocomposites Thermal properties Mechanical properties
Prof. S. Mishra is thankful to UGC, New Delhi for providing UGC BSR Faculty Fellowship, and Pavan Paraskar also gratefully acknowledges the financial support provided by the TEQIP, MHRD New Delhi.
- 4.Hwang Y, Heo Y, Yoo Y, Kim J (2014) The addition of functionalized graphene oxide to polyetherimide to improve its thermal conductivity and mechanical properties. High Perform Polym 28:1–9Google Scholar
- 27.Ren P, Wang H, Huang H, Yan D, Li Z (2013) Characterization and performance of dodecyl amine functionalized graphene oxide and dodecyl amine functionalized graphene/high-density polyethylene nanocomposites: a comparative study. J Appl Polym Sci 131:1–9Google Scholar
- 28.Sahoo S, Bhattacharya P, Hatui G, Ghosh D, Das CK (2013) Sonochemical synthesis and characterization of amine-modified graphene/conducting polymer nanocomposites. J Appl Polym Sci 128:1476–1483Google Scholar
- 30.Su Z, Wang H, Tian K, Xu F, Huang W, Tian X (2015) Simultaneous reduction and surface functionalization of graphene oxide with wrinkled structure by diethylenetriamine (DETA) and their reinforcing effects in the flexible poly(2-ethylhexyl acrylate) (P2EHA) films. Compos Part A Appl Sci Manuf 84:64–75CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 43.Norhakim N, Ahmad S, Chia C, Huang N (2014) Mechanical and thermal properties of graphene oxide filled epoxy nanocomposites. Sains Malays 43:603–609Google Scholar