Ameliorative Effect of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles on Nicotine Induced Testicular Dysfunction; Biochemical and Histological Study
- 13 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate potential impact of zinc oxide nanoparticle on the possible testicular toxicity induced by nicotine.
24 adult male albino rats were divided into four groups; negative control group, zinc oxide nanoparticle group: rats were received 5 mg/kg/day zinc oxide nanoparticles orally, nicotine treated group: rats were administered nicotine (1 mg/kg/day) intraperitoneally and nicotine with zinc oxide nanoparticles: rats were treated with nicotine and zinc oxide nanoparticles daily for 28 days. Serum testosterone level, testicular malondialdehyde, SOD and catalase activities were measured. Testes were examined by light and electron microscopes as well.
Significant decreases of serum testosterone level, testicular SOD and catalase activity and significant increase of testicular MDA in nicotine treated group when compared with control group were detected. Zinc oxide nanoparticles administration reversed these changes.
Zinc oxide nanoparticles ameliorated nicotine induced testicular dysfunction.
KeywordsNicotine Zinc oxide nanoparticle Testicular dysfunction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study had no special funding from any organization.
- 10.Tuncer, I., Sunar, F., Toy, H., Baltaci, A. & Mogulkoc, R. Histological effects of zinc and melatonin on rat testes. Bratisl. Lek. Listy. 112, 425–427 (2011).Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, Z. H. et al. Decline of semen quality and increase of leukocytes with cigarette smoking in infertile men. Iran. J. Reprod. Med. 11, 589–596 (2013).Google Scholar
- 20.Budin, S. B. et al. Low-dose nicotine exposure induced the oxidative damage of reproductive organs and altered the sperm characteristics of adolescent male rats. Malays. J. Med. Sci. 24, 50–57 (2017).Google Scholar
- 34.Mosadegh, M., Hasanzadeh, S. & Razi, M. Nicotine-induced damages in testicular tissue of rats; evidences for bcl-2, p53 and caspase-3 expression. Iran. J. Basic Med. Sci. 20, 199–208 (2017).Google Scholar
- 38.Badkoobeh, P. et al. Effect of nano-zinc oxide on doxorubicin-induced oxidative stress and sperm disorders in adult male Wistar rats. Iran J. Reprod. Med. 11, 355 (2013).Google Scholar
- 44.Luck, H. Catalase. in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis (eds Begmeyer, H. U.) 895–897 (Academic press, New York, 1963).Google Scholar
- 47.Bancroft, J. D. & Layton, C. The Hematoxylin and eosin. in Theory Practice of histological techniques (eds Suvarna, S. K., Layton, C. & Bancroft, J. D.) 179–220 (Churchill Livingstone of El Sevier, Philadelphia, 2013).Google Scholar
- 48.Goodhew, P. J., Humphreys, J. & Beanland, R. in Electron Microscopey and Analysis 4th Edn (Taylor and Francis, London, New York, 2003).Google Scholar