Effects of Low-Temperature GeSn Buffer Layers on Sn Surface Segregation During GeSn Epitaxial Growth
- 19 Downloads
We investigate the effects of the low-temperature (LT) GeSn buffer layers on Sn surface segregation during the growth of the additional GeSn layers. Sn surface segregation was observed in the GeSn layers formed on Si substrates at the growth temperature of 300 °C. However, there was no Sn surface segregation in the GeSn layers grown at 300 °C on the LT GeSn buffer layers formed at 225 °C. The Sn surface segregation was limited by the effects of the LT buffer layers. Crystallinity of the GeSn layers grown at 300 °C on the LT GeSn buffer layers was investigated by Raman spectroscopy. The full width at half maximum of the Ge–Ge Raman spectrum obtained from the GeSn layers was about 3.1 cm−1, which means that the formed GeSn layers have excellent crystallinity. We have successfully demonstrated that the LT GeSn buffer layers can limit the Sn surface segregation, which increases the growth temperature and improves crystallinity of the GeSn layers.
KeywordsGeSn Sputter epitaxy Buffer layer Sn segregation Raman
This research and development work was supported by the MIC/SCOPE #165103005. This work was partly carried out in the Advanced ICT Devices Lab in NICT.
- 1.Chen, R., Gupta, S., Huang, Y.C., Huo, Y., Rudy, C.W., Sanchez, E., Kim, Y., Kamins, T.I., Saraswat, K.C., Harris, J.S.: Demonstration of a Ge/GeSn/Ge quantum-well microdisk resonator on silicon: enabling high-quality Ge(Sn) materials for micro- and nanophotonics. Nano Lett. 14, 37–43 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Stange, D., Wirths, S., Geiger, R., Braucks, C.S., Marzban, B., von den Driesch, N., Mussler, G., Zabel, T., Stoica, T., Hartmann, J.M., Mantl, S., Ikonic, Z., Grützmacher, D., Sigg, H., Witzens, J., Buca, D.: Optically pumped GeSn microdisk lasers on Si. ACS Photonics 3, 1279–1285 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Al-Kabi, S., Ghetmiri, S.A., Margetis, J., Pham, T., Zhou, Y., Dou, W., Collier, B., Quinde, R., Du, W., Mosleh, A., Liu, J., Sun, G., Soref, R.A., Tolle, J., Li, B., Mortazavi, M., Naseem, H.A., Yu, S.Q.: An optically pumped 2.5 μm GeSn laser on Si operating at 110 K. Appl. Phys. Lett. 109, 171105 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Reboud, V., Gassenq, A., Pauc, N., Aubin, J., Milord, L., Thai, Q.M., Bertrand, M., Guilloy, K., Rouchon, D., Rothman, J., Zabel, T., Pilon, F.A., Sigg, H., Chelnokov, A., Hartmann, J.M., Calvo, V.: Optically pumped GeSn micro-disks with 16% Sn lasing at 3.1 μm up to 180 K. Appl. Phys. Lett. 111, 092101 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Margetis, J., Al-Kabi, S., Du, W., Dou, W., Zhou, Y., Pham, T., Grant, P., Ghetmiri, S., Mosleh, A., Li, B., Liu, J., Sun, G., Soref, R., Tolle, J., Mortazavi, M., Yu, S.Q.: Si-based GeSn lasers with wavelength coverage of 2–3 μm and operating temperatures up to 180 K. ACS Photonics 5, 827–833 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar