Impact of 10–60-Day Low-Frequency Steering Flows on Straight Northward-Moving Typhoon Tracks over the Western North Pacific
This study investigates the impact of low-frequency (intraseasonal and interannual) steering flows on straight northward-moving (defined as a meridional displacement two times greater than the zonal displacement) typhoons over the western North Pacific using observational data. The year-to-year change in the northward-moving tracks is affected by the interannual change in the location and intensity of the subtropical high. A strengthened northward steering flow east of 120°E and a weakened easterly steering flow south of the subtropical high favor more frequent straight northward tracks. Examining each of the individual northward-moving typhoons shows that they interact with three types of intraseasonal (10–60-day) background flows during their northward journey. The first type is the monsoon gyre pattern, in which the northward-moving typhoon is embedded in a closed cyclonic monsoon gyre circulation. The second type is the wave train pattern, where a cyclonic (anticyclonic) vorticity circulation is located to the west (east) of the northward-moving typhoon center. The third type is the mid-latitude trough pattern, in which the northward-moving typhoon center is located in the maximum vorticity region of the trough.
Key wordsintraseasonal steering flow interannual steering flow straight northward-moving typhoon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We greatly appreciate the constructive comments from the anonymous reviewers and Dr. Mingyu Bi.
- Chen L. S., and Z. Y. Meng, 2001: An overview on tropical cyclone research progress in China during the past 10 years. Chinese J. Atmos. Sci., 25, 420–432, doi: 10.3878/j.issn.1006-9895.2001.03.11. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Gao S. Y., T. T. Zhao, L. L. Song, et al., 2017: Study of northward moving tropical cyclones in 1949–2015. Meteor. Sci. Technol., 45, 313–323, doi: 10.19517/j.1671-6345.20160229. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Hsu P. C., T. Li, and C. H. Tsou, 2011: Interactions between boreal summer intraseasonal oscillations and synoptic-scale disturbances over the western North Pacific. Part I: Energetics diagnosis. J. Climate, 24, 927–941, doi: 10.1175/2010JCLI3833.1.Google Scholar
- Jiang X. A., D. E. Waliser, P. K. Xavier, et al., 2015: Vertical structure and physical processes of the Madden–Julian oscillation: Exploring key model physics in climate simulations. J. Geophys. Res., 120, 4718–4748, doi: 10.1002/2014JD022375.Google Scholar
- Kasahara A., 1957: The numerical prediction of hurricane movement with the barotropic model. J. Atmos. Sci., 14, 386–402, doi:1 0.1175/15200469(1957)014<0386:TNPOHM>2.0.CO;2.Google Scholar
- Kasahara A., 1960: The numerical prediction of hurricane movement with a two-level baroclinic model. J. Atmos. Sci., 17, 357–370, doi: 10.1175/1520-0469(1960)017<0357:TNPOHM>2.0.CO;2.Google Scholar
- Li C. Y., J. Pan, H. Tian, et al., 2012: Typhoon activities over the western north Pacific and atmospheric intraseasonal oscillation. Meteor. Mon., 38, 1–16, doi: 10.7519/j.issn.1000-0526.2012.1.001. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Li T., 2010: Monsoon climate variabilities. Climate Dynamics: Why Does Climate Vary? D. Z. Sun, and F. Bryan, Eds., American Geophysical Union, Washington DC, doi: 10.1029/2008GM000782.Google Scholar
- Li T., 2012: Synoptic and climatic aspects of tropical cyclogenesis in western North Pacific. Cyclones: Formation, Triggers and Control. K. Oouchi, and H. Fudeyasu, Eds., Nova Science Publishers Inc., New York, NY, USA, 276 pp.Google Scholar
- Li T., 2014: Recent advance in understanding the dynamics of the Madden–Julian oscillation. J. Meteor. Res., 28, 1–33, doi: 10.1007/s13351-014-3087-6.Google Scholar
- Li T. M., and Y. Zhu, 1991: Analysis and modelling of tropical cyclone motion (I)—The axiasymmetric structure and the sudden change of tracks. Sci. China (Ser. B), 34, 222–233, doi: 10.1360/yb1991-34-2-222.Google Scholar
- Ren S. L., Y. M. Liu, and G. X. Wu, 2007: Interactions between typhoon and subtropical anticyclone over western Pacific revealed by numerical experiments. Acta Meteor. Sinica, 65, 329–340, doi: 10.11676/qxxb2007.032. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tao L., S. J. Li, Y. Han, et al., 2012: Impact of intraseasonal oscillations of tropical atmosphere on TC track change over the western North Pacific. J. Trop. Meteor., 28, 698–706, doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1004-4965.2012.05.009. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tian H., C. Y. Li, and H. Yang, 2010: Modulation of typhoon tracks over the western North Pacific by the intraseasonal oscillation. Chinese J. Atmos. Sci., 34, 559–579, doi: 10.3878/j.issn.1006-9895.2010.03.09. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang B., R. L. Elsberry, Y. Q. Wang, et al., 1998: Dynamics in tropical cyclone motion: A review. Chinese J. Atmos. Sci., 22, 535–547, doi: 10.3878/j.issn.1006-9895.1998.04.15. (in Chinese)Google Scholar