Output Characteristics of GaAs Cell Irradiated by Laser
- 116 Downloads
The output characteristics of GaAs cell are keys for the laser wireless power transmission system design. The measurement platform for the output characteristics of GaAs cell is established by single-junction GaAs cell and 1064 nm fiber laser. The influence rules of laser power and temperature on the short-circuit current, open-circuit voltage, peak power, fill factor, and conversion efficiency are measured. The measurement results show that the conversion efficiency firstly increases and then decreases with an increase in laser power, and reaches a maximum of 54.5% at the laser power of 0.405 W, whereas the conversion efficiency decreases with an increase in temperature, and decreases slowly with an increase in laser power.
KeywordsLaser GaAs cell peak power conversion efficiency wireless power transmission
This project is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 11647096) and the Inner Mongolia Natural Science Foundation (Grant No. 2016BS0102).
- N. Kawashima, K. Takeda, and K. Yabe, “Application of the laser energy transmission technology to drive a small airplane,” Chinese Optics Letters, 2007, 5(s1): 109–110.Google Scholar
- D. E. Becker, R. Chiang, C. Keys, A. W. Lyjak, J. A. Nees, and M. D. Starch, “Photovoltaic concentrator based power beaming for space elevator application,” in Proceeding of the 6th International Symposium on Beamed Energy Propulsion, Scottsdale, USA, 2010, pp. 271–281.Google Scholar
- H. M. Jiang, X. A. Cheng, and W. Y. Li, “Response of silicon p-n junction solar cell to DF laser irradiation,” High Power Laser and Particle Beams, 2003, 15(1): 21–24.Google Scholar
- H. Yugami, Y. Kanamori, H. Arashi, and M. Niino, “Field experiment of laser energy transmission and laser to electric conversion,” in Proceeding of the Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Honolulu, USA, 1997, pp. 625–630.Google Scholar
- X. J. Li, Y. W. Yang, B. B. Li, and D. L. Zhang, “Effect of thermal radiation in space on photovoltaic cell,” Laser & Infrared, 2015, 45(12): 1444–1449.Google Scholar
- Y. C. Zhang, “Theoretical and experimental research on efficiency improvements of laser cells,” Ph. D. dissertation, Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, China, 2016.Google Scholar
- W. S. Hua, X. G. Liu, and D. M. Zhang, “Output characteristics of single-junction GaAs photovoltaic cell irradiated by laser,” Laser & Infrared, 2016, 46(12): 1463–1466.Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.