Automatic Facial Expression Recognition Using Combined Geometric Features
- 40 Downloads
This study presents a geometric feature based automatic facial expression recognition system. The proposed system utilises the facial landmark points to determine the relative distances between the facial features in order to capture deformities caused by the movement of facial muscles due to different expressions. Three feature sets are generated by using landmark coordinates, relative distances between the facial points and a combination of both. Discriminating power of each feature set is determined by training different classification models for classifying an image into six basic emotions or neutral state. The proposed system is validated on two publically available facial expression databases. Experimental results show good accuracy of 95.5% for MUG database on the combined features by using ensemble neural network.
KeywordsFacial expression recognition Feature extraction Facial landmarks Multi-class classification
- 2.Aifanti, N., Papachristou, C., & Delopoulos, A. (2010). The MUG facial expression database. In Workshop image analysis for multimedia interactive services (WIAMIS).Google Scholar
- 5.Asthana, A., Zafeiriou, S., Cheng, S., & Pantic, M. (2014). Incremental face alignment in the wild. In Proceedings of the IEEE computer society conference on computer vision and pattern recognition. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2014.240.
- 10.Drouard, V., Ba, S., & Horaud, R. (2017). Switching linear inverse-regression model for tracking head pose. In Proceedings—2017 IEEE winter conference on applications of computer vision, WACV 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/WACV.2017.142.
- 13.Huang, X., Wang, S. J., Zhao, G., & Piteikainen, M. (2015). Facial micro-expression recognition using spatiotemporal local binary pattern with integral projection. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer vision. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCVW.2015.10.
- 14.Kumar, P., Happy, S. L., & Routray, A. (2017). A real-time robust facial expression recognition system using HOG features. In International conference on computing, analytics and security trends, CAST 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/CAST.2016.7914982.
- 15.Kumari, J., Rajesh, R., & Pooja, K. M. (2015). Facial expression recognition: A survey. In Procedia computer science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.08.011.
- 17.Lyons, M. J., Akamatsu, S., Kamachi, M., Gyoba, J., & Budynek, J. (1998). The Japanese female facial expression (JAFFE) database. In Proceedings of third international conference on automatic face and gesture recognition.Google Scholar
- 19.Mollahosseini, A., Chan, D., & Mahoor, M. H. (2016). Going deeper in facial expression recognition using deep neural networks. In 2016 IEEE winter conference on applications of computer vision, WACV 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/WACV.2016.7477450.
- 20.Pourebadi, M., & Ourebadi, M. (2016). MLP neural network based approach for facial expression analysis. In International conference on image processing, computer vision, and pattern recognition, IPCV’16.Google Scholar
- 24.Verbaeten, S., & Van Assche, A. (2003). Ensemble methods for noise elimination in classification problems. In International workshop on multiple classifier systems (pp. 317–325). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 25.Wang, R. R., Huang, T., & Zhong, J. (2002). Generative and discriminative face modelling for detection. In Proceedings—5th IEEE international conference on automatic face gesture recognition, FGR 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/AFGR.2002.1004167.
- 26.Xiong, X., & De La Torre, F. (2013). Supervised descent method and its applications to face alignment. In Proceedings of the IEEE computer society conference on computer vision and pattern recognition. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2013.75.
- 27.Yang, X., Huang, D., Wang, Y., & Chen, L. (2015). Automatic 3D facial expression recognition using geometric scattering representation. In 2015 11th IEEE international conference and workshops on automatic face and gesture recognition, FG 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/FG.2015.7163090.
- 28.Chen, J., Chen, D., Gong, Y., Yu, M., Zhang, K., & Wang, L. (2012). Facial expression recognition using geometric and appearance features. In Proceedings of the 4th international conference on internet multimedia computing and service (pp. 29–33). ACM.Google Scholar