Identification of FaNBS-encoding genes responsive to Colletotrichum fructicola infection in strawberry (Fragaria ×ananassa Duchase)
- 25 Downloads
Anthracnose caused by C. fructicola is a serious fungal disease in strawberry (Fragaria ×ananassa), but the molecular mechanism is still unclear. Here, approximately 232 FaNBS-encoding genes were identified by RNA-seq, of which 53 were specifically annotated in the Fragaria ×ananassa genome. After C. fructicola inoculation, a total of 12, 9 and 24 differentially expressed FaNBS-encoding genes were observed at 24, 72, and 96 Hpi in the Fragaria ×ananassa (cv. Jiuxiang). Furthermore, we manually annotated 40 FaNBS-encoding genes fused with other integrated domains, 27 of which are FaNBS-RPW8 fusions. Most of the RPW8 domains from the FaNBS-RPW8 fusions were conserved in the tyrosine (Y) and glycine (G) residues. Interestingly, the heatmap, Venn diagram and qRT-PCR analysis showed that the expression of an FaNBS-RPW8 fusion (mrna24117.1-v1.0-hybrid) was markedly induced at different stages after C. fructicola inoculation in the susceptible cultivar of Jiuxiang. Altogether, the results of the present study provide information from comprehensive structure and expression analyses of FaNBS-encoding genes and add insight into the molecular mechanism underlying FaNBS-RPW8-mediated resistance to C. fructicola in strawberry (Fragaria ×ananassa).
KeywordsStrawberry Colletotrichum fructicola Integrated domains FaNBS-RPW8
This work was supported by funds from National Natural Science Foundation of China (31601731), the Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (Key Program, 16391901400), and Shanghai Municipal Agricultural Commission Project (Hu Nong Ke Zhong Zi-2017-2-1).
K. D & QH. G conceived this work. XH.Z designed the research and performed bioinformatics analysis. R.G performed the qRT-PCR experiment. LQ.Z guided C. fructicola pathogenicity tests. XH.Z wrote the article.
- Clancy MA, Rosli HG, Chamala S, Barbazuk WB, Civello PM, Folta KM (2013) Validation of reference transcripts in strawberry (Fragaria spp.). Molecular genetics and genomics 288(12):671–681Google Scholar
- Fenyk S, Townsend PD, Dixon CH, Spies GB, de San Eustaquio Campillo A, Slootweg EJ, Westerhof LB, Gawehns FK, Knight MR, Sharples GJ, Goverse A, Palsson LO, Takken FL, Cann MJ (2015) The potato nucleotide-binding leucine-rich repeat (NLR) immune receptor Rx1 is a pathogen-dependent DNA-deforming protein. J Biol Chem 290 (41):24945–24960Google Scholar
- Kaschani F, Shabab M, Bozkurt T, Shindo T, Schornack S, Gu C, Ilyas M, Win J, Kamoun S, van der Hoorn RA (2010) An effector-targeted protease contributes to defense against Phytophthora infestans and is under diversifying selection in natural hosts. Plant Physiol 154 (4):1794–1804Google Scholar
- Maqbool A, Saitoh H, Franceschetti M, Stevenson CE, Uemura A, Kanzaki H, Kamoun S, Terauchi R, Banfield MJ (2015) Structural basis of pathogen recognition by an integrated HMA domain in a plant NLR immune receptor Elife:4Google Scholar
- Perazzolli M, Malacarne G, Baldo A, Righetti L, Bailey A, Fontana P, Velasco R, Malnoy M (2014) Characterization of resistance gene analogues (RGAs) in apple (Malus x domestica Borkh.) and their evolutionary history of the Rosaceae family. PLoS One 9(2):e83844CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Le Roux C, Huet G, Jauneau A, Camborde L, Tremousaygue D, Kraut A, Zhou B, Levaillant M, Adachi H, Yoshioka H, Raffaele S, Berthome R, Coute Y, Parker JE, Deslandes L (2015) A receptor pair with an integrated decoy converts pathogen disabling of transcription factors to immunity. Cell 161 (5):1074–1088Google Scholar
- Williams SJ, Sohn KH, Wan L, Bernoux M, Sarris PF, Segonzac C, Ve T, Ma Y, Saucet SB, Ericsson DJ, Casey LW, Lonhienne T, Winzor DJ, Zhang X, Coerdt A, Parker JE, Dodds PN, Kobe B, Jones JD (2014) Structural basis for assembly and function of a heterodimeric plant immune receptor. Science 344(6181):299–303CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhong S, Joung J-G, Zheng Y, Y-r C, Liu B, Shao Y, Xiang JZ, Fei Z, Giovannoni JJ (2011) High-throughput illumina strand-specific RNA sequencing library preparation. Cold Spring Harbor protocols 2011 (8):pdb. In: prot5652Google Scholar