Effect of a Formative Objective Structured Clinical Examination on the Clinical Performance of Undergraduate Medical Students in a Summative Examination: A Randomized Controlled Trial
- 1 Downloads
To study the effect of formative Objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) on the undergraduate medical students’ performance in a subsequent summative-OSCE assessment.
In a randomized single-blind trial, 130 fifth year medical students at Raparin hospital, Erbil were assigned to intervention (n=61) and control group (n=69). Formative-OSCE was performed for the intervention group in pediatric module with feedback on their performance versus standard pediatric module for the control group. Students’ clinical performance was assessed by a summative-OSCE. Multiple regression was used to predict the summative-OSCE score depending on the participation in formative-OSCE along with the other factors.
Eleven students were excluded because of early drop-out, leaving 119 students for analysis. The summative-OSCE mean score (out of a total score of 100) in intervention group 64.6 (10.91) was significantly lower as compared to the control group 69.2 (10.45).
Single formative-OSCE does not necessarily lead to better performance in subsequent summative-OSCE.
KeywordsAssessment Clinical competence Educational measurement Medical Eduation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Funding: Hawler Medical University. No contribution to data design, collection, analysis or interpretation was made by the funding resource.
- 2.Siddiqui ZS. Framework for an effective assessment: From rocky roads to silk route. Pakistan J Med Sci. 2017;33:505–9.Google Scholar
- 9.Townsend AH, Mcllvenny S, Miller CJ, Dunn E V. The use of an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) for formative and summative assessment in a general practice clinical attachment and its relationship to final medical school examination performance. Med Educ. 2001;35:841–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jain V, Agrawal V, Biswas S. Formative assessment as an educational tool. J Ayub Med C Abbottabad. 2012;24:68–70.Google Scholar
- 16.Radford BW. The effect of formative assessments on teaching and learning [Master]. Brigham Young University. 2010. Available from: https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/etd/2086. Accessed January 10, 2019.
- 20.Van der Kleij F. Computer-based feedback in formative assessment. University of Twente 2013. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fabienne_Van_Der_Kleij/publication/304628867_Computer-based_feedback_in_formative_assessment/links/57759dbf08aead7ba0700138/Computer-based-feedback-in-formative-assessment.pdf. Accessed January 10, 2019.