Clinical Profile and Outcome of Pediatric Sarcoidosis
- 7 Downloads
To document clinical features and outcome of children with sarcoidosis.
Case records of 18 children (mean (SD) age 9 (2.2) years) diagnosed with sarcoidosis between 2006 and 2016 were reviewed. All children were followed up every 2–3 months and monitored for clinical and laboratory parameters. Their treatment and outcome were recorded.
Clinical features at the time of diagnosis were fever (83%), uveitis (50%), difficulty in breathing (44%), hepatosplenomegaly, weight loss, arthritis and peripheral adenopathy. Imaging findings included: hilar adenopathy (94%), abdominal nodes (50%) and pulmonary infiltrates (44%). All children were treated with steroids (range 6–12 months) and weekly low dose oral methotrexate. All patients showed significant improvement over a mean (SD) duration of follow-up of 3.1 (0.9) years, as assessed by resolution of clinical symptoms, and improvement in spirometry parameters, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and serum angiotensin converting enzyme levels.
Children with sarcoidosis seem to respond well to systemic steroids and low dose methotrexate. Delayed diagnosis and ocular involvement are probably associated with poor outcome.
KeywordsCorticosteroids Hilar lymphadenopathy Non-caseating granuloma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hunninghake GW, Costabel U, Ando M, Baughman R, Cordier JF, du Bois R, et al. ERS/WASOG statement on sarcoidosis. American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society/World Association of Sarcoidosis and other Granulomatous Disorders. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 1999;16:149–73.Google Scholar
- 3.Kummer F, Klech H. Sarcoidosis as a multi-organ disease. Pneumologie. 1990;44:158–61.Google Scholar
- 4.Rosenberg AM, Yee EH, MacKenzie JW. Arthritis in childhood sarcoidosis. J Rheumatol. 1983;10:987–90.Google Scholar
- 11.Laghmari M, Skiker H, Boutimzine N, Daoudi R. Uveitis during the course of sarcoidosis in a child: Difficult diagnosis of a case. Bull Soc Belge Ophtalmol. 2008;307:47–51.Google Scholar
- 14.Shetty AK, Gedalia A. Sarcoidosis in children. Curr Probl Pediatr. 2000;30:149–76.Google Scholar