Diagnostic Yield of Xpert MTB/RIF in Bronchoalveolar Lavage in Children with Probable Pulmonary Tuberculosis
- 8 Downloads
To evaluate utility of Xpert MTB/RIF in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in children with probable pulmonary tuberculosis.
Children with probable pulmonary tuberculosis with negative smear and Xpert on induced sputum/gastric aspirate were subjected to bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) for Xpert assay and mycobacterial liquid culture. Data of children <14 y undergoing bronchoscopy for suspected MDR-TB (n=12) were also analyzed. The sensitivity of Xpert in BAL fluid for diagnosis of probable and confirmed pulmonary tuberculosis was calculated with clinico-radiological diagnosis and culture as gold standards, respectively.
Of 41 enrolled children, 24 (58.5%) had Xpert positive in BAL fluid and 11 (26.8%) had culture confirmed tuberculosis (BAL fluid;10; sputum,1). The sensitivity of Xpert in BAL fluid among probable and culture confirmed tuberculosis cases was 58.5% (24/41) and 81.8% (9/11), respectively.
Xpert in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid has good sensitivity in both probable and confirmed pulmonary tuberculosis in children.
KeywordsBronchoscopy CBNAAT Pediatric TB
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Steingart KR, Schiller I, Horne DJ, PaiM, Boehme CC, Dendukuri N. Xpert® MTB/RIF assay for pulmonary tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;1:CD009593.Google Scholar
- 3.World Health Organization. Policy Update: Automated Real–time Nucleic Acid Amplification Technology for Rapid and Simultaneous Detection of Tuberculosis and Rifampicin Resistance: Xpert MTB/RIF Assay for the Diagnosis of Pulmonary and Extrapulmonary TB in Adults and Children. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2013.Google Scholar
- 12.Yin QQ, Jiao WW, Han R, Jiao AX, Sun L, Tian JL, et al. Rapid diagnosis of childhood pulmonary tuberculosis by Xpert MTB/RIF assay using bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:310194.Google Scholar
- 13.Chauhan LS, Arora VK; Central TB Division, Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; Indian Academy of Pediatrics. Management of Pediatric Tuberculosis under the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Program (RNTCP). Indian Pediatr. 2004;41:901–5.Google Scholar
- 15.Sharma SK, Kohli M, Yadav RN, Chaubey J, Bhasin D, Sreenivas V, et al. Evaluating the diagnostic accuracy of Xpert MTB/RIF assay in pulmonary tuberculosis. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0141011.Google Scholar