Optimal Design of Smart Mid-Story Isolated Control System for a High-Rise Building
- 9 Downloads
Mid-story isolation systems have previously been studied for decrease of the earthquake induced responses of high-rise buildings. The systems have been successfully applied to several buildings in Korea and Japan. Structural designers usually have to ensure that both the peak story and isolator drifts are within permissible limits. However, these two objectives conflict with each other. To solve this problem, a smart mid-story isolation system can be used for tall buildings. The system is composed of rubber bearings and magnetorheological (MR) dampers. The system was employed for an existing structure to reduce both the isolator and story drift. The control efficiency of smart mid-story isolator was evaluated based on a passive system. An artificial seismic load was made for numerical analyses for both systems. A fuzzy soft-computing technique with a multi-objective optimization was adopted to make control algorithm for decrease of both the inter-story and isolator drift. A numerical analysis results presents that the proposed method can effectively decrease the seismic-induced inter-story and isolator drift in the example of a tall building.
KeywordsSmart mid-story isolation system Control system design Soft-computing technique Seismic response reduction Vibration control
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant, which is funded by the government of Korea (MSIP) (No. NRF-2017R1A2B4006226).
- Chey, M. H., Chase, J. G., Mander, J. B., & Carr, A. J. (2009). Semi-active control of mid-story isolation building system. In Asia Korean conference on advanced science & technology, Yanji, China.Google Scholar
- Gasparini, D. A., & Vanmarcke, E. H. (1976). SIMQKE: User’s manual and documentation. Department of Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Griffith, M. C., Aiken, I. D., & Kelly J. M. (1998). Experimental evaluation of seismic isolation of a 9-story braced steel frame subjected to uplift. Report no. UCB/EERC-88/05. Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley: California.Google Scholar
- Hur, M. W. (2010). Construction of isolation device for DONG-IL High-Vill New City. Review of Architecture and Building Science, 54(5), 81–86.Google Scholar
- IBC. (2012). International building code. International Code Consortium.Google Scholar
- Sueoka, T., Torii, S., Tsuneki, Y. (2004). The application of response control design using middle-story isolation system to high-rise building. In Proceeding of the 13th world conference on earthquake engineering, Vancouver, BC, Canada.Google Scholar
- Tsuneki, Y., Torii, S., Murakami, K., & Sueoka, T. (2008). Middle-story isolated structural system of high-rise building. In Proceeding of the 14th world conference on earthquake engineering, Beijing, China.Google Scholar