Computational Model of the Elastic Stiffness of Panel Zone in Diaphragm-Through Connections
- 5 Downloads
The elastic stiffness of the panel zone in diaphragm-through connection between square steel tubular column and H-shaped steel beam subjected to lateral loads is studied in this paper. Through analyzing the deformation mechanism of diaphragm-through connection, the rotation of the panel zone is found to be the superposition of bending deformation of the column and shear deformation of the panel zone. Based on the mechanical model, the computational method of the elastic stiffness of the panel zone in the diaphragm-though connection is developed. To verify the computational method, three cruciform specimens were tested subjected to a set of anti-symmetrical cyclic load at the beam tips. Based on the test results, the developed finite element model is verified and used in the follow-up parametric analysis to check the applicability of the proposed computational method. Key variables involved are the width of column, thickness of column and the height-to-width ratio of the core tube.
KeywordsDiaphragm-through connection Panel zone Rotation model Elastic stiffness Finite element analysis Computational method
The research was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundations of China (Nos. 51268054 and 51468061) and the Natural Science Foundation of Tianjin City, China (No. 13JCQNJC07300). The financial supports are greatly appreciated.
- GB/T 228-2010. Metallic Materials at Room Temperature Tensile Test Method (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Krawinkler, H. (1978). Shear in beam shear in beam-column joints in seismic design of steel frames. Engineering Journal, 15(3), 82–91.Google Scholar
- Qin, Y., Chen, Z., Wang, X., & Zhou, T. (2014a). Seismic behavior of through-diaphragm connections between CFRT columns and steel beams-experimental study. Advanced Steel Construction, 10(3), 351–371.Google Scholar
- Shi, G., Shi, Y., & Wang, Y. (2006). Calculational method of shear deformation for beam-to-column connection panel zone in steel frames. Journal of Jilin University, 36(4), 462–466.Google Scholar
- Rong, B., Liu, R., Li, Z., Feng, C., You, G., and Apostolos, F., “Flexural capacity formula of diaphragm-through joints of concrete-filled square steel tubular columns”, Transactions of Tianjin University, 2017, pp.1-9.Google Scholar
- Tao, M., & Nie, J. (2016). Quantitative evaluation of deformation mechanism and failure modes for composite joints. China Civil Engineering Journal, 49(8), 61–68.Google Scholar