Static yields and quality issues: Is the agri-environment program the primary driver?
- 259 Downloads
The Finnish agri-environmental program (AEP) has been in operation for 20 years with >90 % farmer commitment. This study aimed to establish whether reduced nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) use has impacted spring cereal yields and quality based on comprehensive follow-up studies and long-term experiments. We found that the gap between genetic yield potential and attained yield has increased after the AEP was imposed. However, many contemporary changes in agricultural practices, driven by changes in prices and farm subsidies, also including the AEP, were likely reasons, together with reduced N, but not phosphorus use. Such overall changes in crop management coincided with stagnation or decline in yields and adverse changes in quality, but yield-removed N increased and residual N decreased. Further studies are needed to assess whether all the changes are environmentally, economically, and socially sustainable, and acceptable, in the long run. The concept of sustainable intensification is worth considering as a means to develop northern European agricultural systems to combine environmental benefits with productivity.
KeywordsGenetic gain Incentive Nitrogen Phosphorus Socio-economics Yield decline
The work was financed by the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and MTT Agrifood Research Finland: Follow-up Study on Impacts of Agri-Environment Program in Finland and Sustainable Intensification of Cropping Systems.
- Aakkula, J. and J. Leppänen. 2014. Follow-up study on the impacts of agri-environment measures (MYTVAS 3)—Final Report. Publications of Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry 3/2014, 265 pp (English abstract).Google Scholar
- Esala, M., and G. Larpes. 1986. Effect of placement technique and amount of fertilizer on spring wheat and barley grown on clay soils. I. Effect of grain yield. Annales Agriculturae Fenniae 25: 159–167.Google Scholar
- FAO. 2013. Agri-environmental statistics. Retrieved March 12, 2014, from http://faostat.fao.org/site/339/default.aspx.
- Laine, A., Högnäsbacka, M., Kujala, M., Niskanen, M., Jauhiainen, L.and Nikander. H. 2014. Results of Official Variety Trials 2006–2013. MTT Raportti, 238 pp. Retrieved May 5, 2014, from http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-487-515-8.
- Littell, R.C., G.A. Milliken, W.W. Stroup, R.D. Wolfinger, and O. Schabenberger. 2006. SAS for mixed models, 2nd Edn., 732 pp. Cary, NC: SAS Institute.Google Scholar
- Mackay, I., A. Horwell, J. Garner, J. White, J. McKee, and H. Philpott. 2011. Reanalyses of the historical series of UK variety trials to quantify the contributions of genetic and environmental factors to trends and variability in yield over time. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 122: 225–238.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mattila, P. 2006. Ammonia emissions from pig and cattle slurry in the field and utilization of slurry nitrogen in crop production. Agrifood Research Reports 87, p. 136.Google Scholar
- Niemi, J., and J. Ahlstedt. 2005. Finnish Agriculture and Rural Industries 2005—Ten Years in the European Union. Helsinki: Agrifood Research Finland, Economic Research, Publications 105a.Google Scholar
- Niemi, J., and J. Ahlstedt. 2014. Finnish Agriculture and Rural Industries 2014, 115a. Agrifood Research Finland: Economic Research, Publications.Google Scholar
- Niskanen, O. & Lehtonen, E. 2014. Development of parcel structure and clearing of new fields in Finland in the 2000s. MTT Report 150, 27 pp.Google Scholar
- Rankinen, K., P. Peltonen-Sainio, K. Granlund, H. Ojanen, M. Laapas, K. Hakala, K. Sippel, J. Helenius, et al. 2013. Climate change adaptation in arable land use, and impact on nitrogen load at catchment scale in northern agriculture. Agricultural and Food Science 22: 342–355.Google Scholar
- Saarela, I., A. Järvi, H. Hakkola, and K. Rinne. 2004. Phosphorus status of diverse soils in Finland as influenced by long-term P fertilization. 2. Changes of soil test values in relation to P balance with references to incorporation depth of residual and freshly applied P. Agricultural and Food Science Finland 13: 276–294.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- TIKE, 2013. National statistics on organic crop production. Retrieved March 12, 2014, from http://www.maataloustilastot.fi/en/organic-production-statistics.
- Valpasvuo-Jaatinen, P., S. Rekolainen, and H. Latostenmaa. 1997. Finnish agriculture and its sustainability: environmental impacts. AMBIO 6: 448–455.Google Scholar
- Ylätalo, M. 1996. Maatalousyritysten sopeutuminen EU:ssa vallitseviin hintasuhteisiin, 258 pp. Helsinki: Helsingin yliopisto, Taloustieteen laitos, Maatalousekonomia. Julkaisuja 12.Google Scholar