Design, manufacture and deployment of a low-cost area radiation monitoring system using Raspberry Pi computers and open-source software
Monitoring of background radiation levels in radiopharmaceutical laboratories is a key tool in minimising dose to workers. Retrofitting area monitoring systems in an existing laboratory can be disruptive and prohibitively expensive. We set out to develop a flexible low-cost area monitoring system utilising the power of inexpensive single board computers and open-source software. A complete system has been developed which includes local and remote real-time display with local warning, dose rate logging and automated plotting and backup of results from over 20 individual monitors connected via wifi.
KeywordsRadiation safety Area monitoring Radiation measurement Computing
No external funding was applied for or used in the fulfilment of this project.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Foundation RP, “Downloads,” (2017) [Online]. https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/. Accessed 2 Oct 2017
- 2.Foundation RP, Page “RaspbianD,” (2017) [Online]. https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/. Accessed 2 Oct 2017
- 3.Components RS, Components “RS,” (2018) [Online]. http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/8968660/. Accessed 1 Oct 2018
- 4.Integrated M, “APPLICATION NOTE 3757: Bias Supply Powers Low-Power Geiger-Mueller Tube,” 22 03 2006. [Online]. https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3757. Accessed 2 Oct 2018
- 5.Components RS, “DesignSpark Home,” [Online]. https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/home. Accessed 1 Oct 2018
- 6.Circuits S, “Screaming Circuits,” (2017) [Online]. https://www.screamingcircuits.com/. Accessed 26 Oct 2017
- 7.Circuits A, “Advanced Circuits 4PCB,” (2017) [Online]. http://www.4pcb.com/. Accessed 26 Oct 2017
- 8.Digital AC, Digital “AC,” (2017) [Online]. http://www.acddigital.com.au/. Accessed 26 Oct 2017
- 9.Inc LND, Inc “LND,” [Online]. https://www.lndinc.com/. Accessed 01 Oct 2018
- 10.Thompson M, Green P, “Raspbian Homepage,” (2017) [Online]. https://www.raspbian.org/FrontPage. Accessed 02 Oct 2017
- 11.Thompson M, Green P, “Raspbian Repository,” (2017) [Online]. https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianRepository. Accessed 02 Oct 2017
- 12.Croston B, “RPi.GPIO,” [Online]. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/RPi.GPIO. Accessed 02 Oct 2017
- 13.Djuricic B, “justGage,” (2017) [Online]. http://justgage.com/. Accessed 02 Oct 2017
- 14.Hellkamp M, “Bottle: Python Web Framework,” (2017) [Online]. https://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/. Accessed 25 Oct 2017
- 15.Davison W, “rsync homepage,” [Online]. https://rsync.samba.org/. Accessed 09 Oct 2018
- 16.Williams T, Kelley C, “Gnuplot Homepage,” [Online]. http://www.gnuplot.info/. Accessed 09 Oct 2018