Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Volumetric Evaluation During Mid-term Follow-Up After Endovascular Sealing Using the Nellix™ Device
- 14 Downloads
To analyze the volumetric evolution of abdominal aortic aneurysms after endovascular sealing (EVAS) with the Nellix™ device during follow-up.
Patients who underwent elective EVAS in our institution in 2014 and 2015 were retrospectively reviewed. Preoperative, postoperative and 1-year scans were processed. A custom software was conceived to assess semi-automated measurements of the aneurysm sac and the endograft sizes including volume, maximum diameter, sectional area and perimeter. Thrombus volume, aneurysm length, mean distance between the stents inside the polymer-filled sacs and endograft migration were also estimated. Manual maximum diameters were measured for comparison. Inter and intra-observer variability of the proposed semi-automated method was evaluated.
Pre-EVAS, post-EVAS and last follow-up scans of 12 patients were finally analyzed during a mean follow-up of 17 ± 5 months. No endograft migration or endoleak were detected. During follow-up, aneurysm volume and perimeter slightly increased compared to post-EVAS scans (+ 1 and + 5%, respectively, p < 0.05). A systematic 6% enlargement of the endobag volume was also observed (range 1–15 mL, p < 0.001). Endobag maximum diameter, area and perimeter increased 4, 8, and 8%, respectively (all p < 0.01). Mean plane-by-plane distance between stents increased 4% (p < 0.05). Mean thrombus volume did not change during follow-up, although a high variability was observed. Aneurysm and thrombus volume changes were highly correlated (r = 0.93, p < 0.001). No associations were observed between aneurysm and endobag volume changes. Intra- and inter-observer variability was below 1.7 and 2.4% for diameter and volume measurements, respectively. The automated measurements of post-EVAS aneurysm diameter and volume were higher than preoperative (p < 0.05). Maximum diameters measured manually did not differ between scans.
Small aneurysm volume enlargement detected during a mid-term follow-up was associated with thrombus size change, whereas systematic endograft expansion resulted independent from the aortic growth. Volumetric measurements using a semi-automated method could quantify small changes in aneurysm, endograft and thrombus sizes not detected by manually defined maximal diameters.
KeywordsAbdominal aortic aneurysm Aneurysm sizing Endograft follow-up Aneurysm volume Endovascular sealing system
This work was partially supported by the CONICET PIP Project No. 1220130100480 and the MinCyT PICT Project No. 2016-0945 from Argentina.
CONICET PIP, Grant No. 1220130100480, to Damian Craiem. MinCyT PICT Project No. 2016-0945 to Damian Craiem.
Conflict of interest
Salma El Batti, Mariano E. Casciaro, Jean-Marc Alsac, Christian Latremouille, Pierre Julia, Elie Mousseaux, and Damian Craiem declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Protocol/project development: SEB, MC, DC. Data collection or management: SEB, MC, DC. Data analysis, SEB, MC, DC, JMA, PJ. Manuscript writing/editing: SEB, DC, MC, JMA, EM.
- 3.Bargellini, I., R. Cioni, P. Petruzzi, A. Pratali, V. Napoli, C. Vignali, et al. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms: analysis of aneurysm volumetric changes at mid-term follow-up. Cardiovasc. Interv. Radiol. 28(4):426–433, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-004-0171-9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Boersen, J. T., E. Groot Jebbink, M. Versluis, C. H. Slump, D. N. Ku, J. P. de Vries, et al. Flow and wall shear stress characterization after endovascular aneurysm repair and endovascular aneurysm sealing in an infrarenal aneurysm model. J. Vasc. Surg. 66(6):1844–1853, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2016.10.077.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Boersen, J. T., R. C. Schuurmann, C. H. Slump, D. A. van den Heuvel, M. M. Reijnen, T. G. ter Mors, et al. Changes in aortoiliac anatomy after elective treatment of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms with a sac anchoring endoprosthesis. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 51(1):56–62, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejvs.2015.08.019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Casciaro, M. E., S. El-Batti, G. Chironi, A. Simon, E. Mousseaux, R. L. Armentano, et al. Deformable surface model for the evaluation of abdominal aortic aneurysms treated with an endovascular sealing system. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 44:1381–1391, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439-015-1446-9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Erbel, R., V. Aboyans, C. Boileau, E. Bossone, R. D. Bartolomeo, H. Eggebrecht, et al. 2014 ESC Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases: Document covering acute and chronic aortic diseases of the thoracic and abdominal aorta of the adult. The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Aortic Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur. Heart J. 35(41):2873–2926, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehu281.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Shaikh, U., T. Y. Chan, O. Oshin, R. G. McWilliams, R. K. Fisher, A. England, et al. Changes in aortic volumes following endovascular sealing of abdominal aortic aneurysms with the Nellix Endoprosthesis. J. Endovasc. Ther. 22(6):881–885, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/1526602815607186.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.van den Ham, L. H., A. Holden, J. Savlovskis, A. Witterbottom, K. Ouriel, and M. Reijnen. Editor’s choice: occurrence and classification of proximal type I endoleaks after EndoVascular Aneurysm Sealing using the Nellix Device. Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 54(6):729–736, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejvs.2017.09.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.van den Ham, L. H., T. G. Ter Mors, J. T. Boersen, J. de Vries, P. W. Vriens, J. M. Heyligers, et al. Evolution of computed tomography imaging the first year after endovascular sealing of Infrarenal Aortic Aneurysms using the Nellix Device. Ann. Vasc. Surg. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2017.07.038.Google Scholar
- 26.van den Ham, L. H., C. J. Zeebregts, J. P. de Vries, and M. M. Reijnen. Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair using Nellix EndoVascular Aneurysm Sealing. Surg. Technol. Int. 26:226–231, 2015.Google Scholar