Karyomorphological studies in three species of Argyreia Lour. (Convolvulaceae) from India
- 59 Downloads
In this study, karyotypes of three taxa in the genus Argyreia Lour. were examined. The chromosome counts for A. osyrensis and A. setosa were reported for the first time while somatic chromosome count of A. cuneata was confirmed. The three taxa studied were diploid with 2n = 2x = 30. Highest total chromosome length in Argyreia osyrensis was 54.25 μm with mean chromosome length (MCL) of 3.62 μm. The lowest in Argyreia setosa as 46.04 μm with the mean chromosome length of 3.07 μm. The karyotypes of the species were examined on the grounds of various karyotype asymmetry indices. Two of them, A. cuneata and A. osyrensis fell in the 3A while A. setosa belonged to the 4A category of Stebbins’ classification.
KeywordsArgyreia Assymetry indices Chromosome count Convolvulaceae Karyotype
Authors are grateful to Head, Department of Botany, Shivaji University, Kolhapur and Dr. M.M. Lekhak for providing laboratory facilities and valuable suggestions. Financial support received from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India, to PRL (CSIR file no. 08/631(0001)/2015-EMR-I Dated: 04/11/2015) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Chen ZY, Huang SF. The karyotypes of five cultivated plants. Acta Bot Austro Sin. 1989;4:75–83.Google Scholar
- 3.Kumar V, Subramaniam B. Chromosome atlas of flowering plants of the Indian subcontinent: dicotyledons. Calcutta: Botanical Survey of India; 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.Love A, Love D. Chromosome numbers of central and North West European plant species. Opera Bot Lund. 1961;5:1–581.Google Scholar
- 7.Ooststroom SJ, van Hoogland RD. Convolvulaceae. In: van Steenis CGGJ, editor. Flora Malesiana. Ser. I: vol. 4. Jarkata: Noordhoff-Kolff; 1953. p. 388–512.Google Scholar
- 10.Sampathkumar R, Ayyangar RK. A critical appraisal of the karyophyletic taxonomy of Convolvulaceae. J Cytol Genet. 1981;16:89–99.Google Scholar
- 11.Sampathkumar R, Ayyangar RK. On the cytonomenclatural vindication of Argyreia bella (C.B. Clarke) Raizada. J Cytol Genet. 1981;16:47–50.Google Scholar
- 13.Sharma AK, Chatterji AK. A cytological investigation of some Convolvulaceae as an aid in understanding their lines of evolution. Phyton. 1957;9:143–57.Google Scholar
- 16.Stebbins GL. Chromosomal evolution in higher plants. London: Edward Arnold; 1971. p. 88.Google Scholar
- 17.Turland NJ, Wiersema JH, Barrie FR, Greuter W, Hawksworth DL, Hereunder PS, Knapp S, Kusber WH, Li DZ, Marhold K, May TW, Mcneill J, Monro AM, Prado J, Price MJ, Smith GF. International code of nomenclature for algae, fungi and plants (Shenzhen code, Article 21.3 and 22.2). Eibelstadt: Koeltx Botanicals Books; 2018. https://doi.org/10.12705/Code.2018.Google Scholar