Spectroscopic and Thermal Investigation of Silver Nanoparticle Dispersed Biopolymer Matrix Bovine Serum Albumin: A Promising Antimicrobial Agent against the Pathogenic Bacterial Strains
- 14 Downloads
The present work describes the synthesis of the polypeptide coated silver nanoparticles by the excellent combination of the macromolecule bovine serum albumin (BSA) and nanosized silver particles (AgNPs). The product was characterised by spectroscopic, microscopic and X-ray diffraction analyses. The thermal characteristics were studied by TG-DTG and DSC measurements. The developed system was evaluated for its antibacterial property by disc diffusion method against the selected pathogenic gram positive and gram negative bacterial strains Streptococcus haemolyticus (+ve), Corynebacterium diphtheriae (+ve), Klebsiella ornithinolytica (-ve) and Salmonella paratyphi (-ve). The study revealed that the AgNP-BSA aggregates displayed appreciable thermal stability and better antimicrobial efficacy and is anticipated to be a promising material for antimicrobial applications.
Keywordsbovine serum albumin antibacterial activity disc diffusion method thermal stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).A. William, Goddard III, D. Brenner, S. E. Lyshevski, and G. J. Iafrate, Handbook of Nanoscience, Engineering and Technology, 2nd ed., CRC Press, New York, 2007.Google Scholar
- (3).K. Alaqad and T.A Saleh, J. Environ. Anal. Toxicol., 6, 384 (2016).Google Scholar
- (7).L. F. Cristóbal, G. A. Castañón, J. P. Rodríguez, N. Martinez, F. Ruiz, N. V. Alonso, R. H. Lara, and S. Y. Reyes–López, J. Nanomater., 2015, Article ID 420853 (2015).Google Scholar
- (8).R. S. Kumar and A. Jha, Ind. J. Appl. Res., 3, DOI:10.15373/2249555X (2013).Google Scholar
- (15).T. Peters, All About Albumin Biochemistry, Genetics and Medical Applications, Elsevier Inc. 1995.Google Scholar
- (19).S. Baron, Medical Microbiology 4th edition, Galveston (TX): University of Texas Medical Branch, 1996.Google Scholar
- (26).Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI), Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk and Dilution Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria Isolated from Animals; Approved Standard–Third Edition, M31–A3, Vol.28:8, 2008.Google Scholar
- (27).T. Pradeep, NANO the Essentials, Tata McGraw–Hill Education, New Delhi, 2007.Google Scholar
© The Polymer Society of Korea and Springer 2019