The Mo- and Fe-nitrogenases of the endophyte Kosakonia sp. UYSO10 are necessary for growth promotion of sugarcane
- 20 Downloads
Sugarcane is a multipurpose crop primarily used to produce sugar, energy and bioethanol. It requires high amounts of N-fertilization for optimal growth, which increases production costs and environmental degradation. The contribution of biological nitrogen fixation to Uruguayan commercial sugarcane cultivars was demonstrated previously, and diazotrophic bacteria that were isolated from the stems were characterized and identified. From this collection, the isolate UYSO10 related to the Kosakonia genus (formerly Enterobacter) was described as a plant growth-promoting endophyte of sugarcane plants.
To evaluate the effect of the inoculation of wild-type and nitrogenase-deficient strains of Kosakonia sp. UYSO10 on sugarcane growth promotion under non-sterile conditions.
Kosakonia sp. UYSO10 was inoculated onto sugarcane setts for plant growth promotion greenhouse experiments. Single and double mutants resulting to the nitrogenase-encoding genes (nifH, anfH) were constructed, and the phenotypes were evaluated in vitro and in vivo.
Kosakonia sp. UYSO10 is able to promote sugarcane growth under non-sterile conditions, that strain UYSO10 harbors two functional nitrogenases and the inactivation of both nitrogenase-encoding genes diminish its capacity of promoting growth on sugarcane.
All together, the results obtained showed that the biological nitrogen fixation ability of Kosakonia sp. UYSO10 is required for sugarcane growth promotion.
KeywordsBNF Nitrogenase mutants nifH anfH
Biological nitrogen fixation
Plant growth promotion
Plant growth-promoting bacteria
This work was supported by grants from the Uruguayan Fund for the Promotion of Agricultural Technology (Fondo de Promoción de Tecnología Agropecuaria FPTA-275 and 331-INIA), the Uruguayan Program for the Development of the Basic Sciences (Programa de Desarrollo de las Ciencias Básicas-PEDECIBA), the Posgrade Academic Commission-UdelaR (Comisión Académica de Posgrado), and the Uruguayan National Agency for Innovation and Research (Agencia Nacional de Innovación e Investigación-ANII). The authors are very grateful to Ing. Agr. Fernando Hackembruch from the Agriculture Department of the Alcoholes Uruguay S.A.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Research involving human participants and/or animals
- Bergottini VM, Filippidou S, Junier T, Johnson S, Chain PS, Otegui MB, Zapata PD, Junier P (2015) Genome sequence of Kosakonia radicincitans strain YD4, a plant growth-promoting rhizobacterium isolated from yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis St Hill). Genome Announc 3:e00239–e00215CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bertalan M, Albano R, de Pádua V, Rouws L, Rojas C, Hemerly A, Teixeira K, Schwab S, Araujo J, Oliveira A, França L, Magalhães V, Alquéres S, Cardoso A, Almeida W, Loureiro M, Nogueira E, Cidade D, Oliveira D, Simão T, Macedo J, Valadão A, Dreschsel M, Freitas F, Vidal M, Guedes H, Rodrigues E, Meneses C, Brioso P, Pozzer L, Figueiredo D, Montano H, Junior J, de Souza Filho G, Martin Quintana Flores V, Ferreira B, Branco A, Gonzalez P, Guillobel H, Lemos M, Seibel L, Macedo J, Alves-Ferreira M, Sachetto-Martins G, Coelho A, Santos E, Amaral G, Neves A, Pacheco A, Carvalho D, Lery L, Bisch P, Rössle SC, Ürményi T, Rael Pereira A, Silva R, Rondinelli E, von Krüger W, Martins O, Baldani J, Ferreira PC (2009) Complete genome sequence of the sugarcane nitrogen-fixing endophyte Gluconacetobacter diazotrophicus Pal5. BMC Genomics 10:450CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brady C, Cleenwerck I, Venter S, Coutinho T, De Vos P (2013) Taxonomic evaluation of the genus Enterobacter based on multilocus sequence analysis (MLSA): proposal to reclassify E. nimipressuralis and E. amnigenus into Lelliottia gen. nov. as Lelliottia nimipressuralis comb. nov. and Lelliottia amnigena comb. nov. Syst Appl Microbiol 36:309–319CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fogliata F (1995) Agronomía de la caña de azúcar. In: El graduado (Ed.) Tecnología, costos y producción. Tucumán, Argentina, pp 1–10Google Scholar
- Hanahan D (1983) Studies on transformation of Escherichia coli with plasmids. J Mol Biol 166(4):557–580Google Scholar
- InfoStat (2008). Grupo InfoStat, FCA, Universidad Nacional de Cordóba, ArgentinaGoogle Scholar
- Silva-Rocha R, Martínez-García E, Calles B, Chavarría M, Arce-Rodríguez A, de Las Heras A, Páez-Espino AD, Durante-Rodríguez G, Kim J, Nikel PI, Platero R, de Lorenzo V (2013) The standard European vector architecture (SEVA): a coherent platform for the analysis and deployment of complex prokaryotic phenotypes. Nucleic Acids Res 41:666–675CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taulé C, Mareque C, Barlocco C, Hackembruch F, Reis VM, Sicardi M, Battistoni F (2012) The contribution of nitrogen fixation to sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.), and the identification and characterization of part of the associated diazotrophic bacterial community. Plant Soil 356:35–49CrossRefGoogle Scholar