Frequency of I655V SNP of HER-2/neu in colorectal cancer: a study from India
- 12 Downloads
The present study was conducted to determine the prognostic significance of I655V SNP (rs1136201) is a genetic one in HER-2 oncoprotein in cases of colorectal cancer (CRC). We conducted a case–control study analysing 83 subjects (naïve primary CRC cases) who underwent CRC biopsy/colectomy and included 57 healthy control subjects. Analysis of HER-2 polymorphism was done by PCR-RFLP technique. The mean age was found to be 55.9 years; median age was 56 years and mode age was 54 years with a range of 43 (30–73). Males constitute 63 (75.9%) and females constitute 20 (24.1%) of patient population. According to gradewise distribution, 12 (14.45%) patients were of Grade I, 53 (63.85%) of Grade II, and 18 (21.68%) were of Grade III. We found out that out of 83 patients, 52 (62.65%) were of homozygous wild type (A/A; Ile/Ile); 27 (32.53%) were of heterozygous type (A/G; Ile/Val) and 4 (4.81%) were of homozygous mutant type (G/G; Val/Val). Allelic frequency of Ile (A) was found out to be 0.79 and that of Val (G) is 0.21 and were not significantly different from the healthy control population. Fischer’s exact p value obtained was 0.86.
KeywordsHER-2/neu polymorphism I655V (A/G) Colorectal cancer (CRC) PCR-RFLP Prognostic Biomarker
Human epidermal growth factor receptor
Jamia Millia Islamia
Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College
Aligarh Muslim University
Single nucleotide polymorphism
Polymerase chain reaction
Restriction fragment length polymorphism
Allele frequency database
Invasive ductal carcinoma
The authors are indebted to all the study participants. Rameez Hasan would like to thank and acknowledge University Grants Commission (U.G.C.), Govt. of India and Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt. of India for providing Maulana Azad National Fellowship (F1-17.1/2013-14/MANF-2013-14-MUS-RAJ-20039 dated 6th Feb. 2014) to him.
RH and KD planned the study. RH, AA, and KD designed the manuscript. AA performed colonoscopic biopsies/colectomy. RH performed laboratory procedures under the guidance of KD. RH wrote the paper. DB, VK, AKV, PSB, and SK helped in revising the manuscript. All the authors reviewed and approved the manuscript.
This work was funded by the University Grants Commission (U.G.C.), Govt. of India through MRP grant awarded to Kapil Dev (MRP-MAJOR-BIOT-2013-34536) vide F. No. 43–84/2014(SR) dated 23rd Sept. 2015.
Compliance with ethical standards
Availability of data and material
We state that research data will not be shared or put in open public domain, as it is forbidden under the policy of JMI and AMU. The data that support the outcomes of this study are accessible from JMI. However, limitations exist in availability of this data, which was used under the authorization for the present study and so is not openly accessible. Data is, however, available from the authors upon reasonable request and with permission of JMI and AMU.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
Ethics approval & consent to participate
The Institutional Ethics Committee of Jamia Millia Islamia (vide Proposal No. 17/9/10/JMI/IEC/2015 dated 14.01.2016) and Aligarh Muslim University (vide D. No. 2183/FM dated 09.02.2016) has approved the study. A written informed consent was obtained before inclusion in the study.
- Conradi LC, Styczen H, Sprenger T, Wolff HA, Rodel C, Nietert M, Homayounfar K, Gaedcke J, Kitz J, Talaulicar R, Becker H, Ghadimi M, Middel P, Beissbarth T, Ruschoff J, Liersch T (2013) Frequency of HER-2 positivity in rectal cancer and prognosis. Am J Surg Pathol 37(4):522–531. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e318272ff4d CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dean L (2015) Trastuzumab (herceptin) therapy and ERBB2 (HER2) genotypeGoogle Scholar
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, Bray F (2014) Globocan 2012, cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11. International Agency for Research on Cancer, LyonGoogle Scholar
- Marx AH, Burandt EC, Choschzick M, Simon R, Yekebas E, Kaifi JT, Mirlacher M, Atanackovic D, Bokemeyer C, Fiedler W, Terracciano L, Sauter G, Izbicki JR (2010) Heterogenous high-level HER-2 amplification in a small subset of colorectal cancers. Hum Pathol 41(11):1577–1585. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2010.02.018 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Riaz SK, Rashid MM, Kayani MA, Arshad Malik MF (2016) Role of HER-2 Ile655Val polymorphism as universal cancer susceptibility marker among different cancers. Arch Iran Med (AIM) 19(6):430–438Google Scholar
- Sclafani F, Roy A, Cunningham D, Wotherspoon A, Peckitt C, Gonzalez de Castro D, Tabernero J, Glimelius B, Cervantes A, Eltahir Z, Oates J, Chau I (2013) HER2 in high-risk rectal cancer patients treated in EXPERT-C, a randomized phase II trial of neoadjuvant capecitabine and oxaliplatin (CAPOX) and chemoradiotherapy (CRT) with or without cetuximab. Ann Oncol 24(12):3123–3128. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt408 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar