Rapid and sensitive detection of Pseudocercospora eumusae pathogen causing eumusae leaf spot disease of banana by loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) method
A rapid and sensitive loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) method was developed for the specific detection of Pseudocercospora eumusae. The LAMP primers designed based on the specific SCAR (Sequence Characterized Amplified Region) marker sequence of P. eumusae proved highly specific to P. eumusae and there was no cross reactivity with closely related Pseudocercospora spp. (P. fijiensis and P. musicola) and 17 other leaf spot causing fungal pathogens of banana. The developed LAMP method exhibited greater sensitivity as the minimum detectable concentration of P. eumusae genomic DNA was 10 ƿg/µl which was 100 times lower than that of conventional PCR (1 ng/µl).This method also detected the target pathogen from crude DNA of the mycelium and single leaf spot tissues which eliminates laborious purification steps in DNA isolation and requires less operational time. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on the development of this LAMP method to specifically detect and diagnose P. eumusae pathogen from pure cultures and leaf spot tissues.
KeywordsCrude DNA Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification method Pseudocercospora eumusae Optimization
The authors are thankful to the Director, NRC for Banana for providing the facilities to carry out the research work. Also thankful to Dr Michael Pillay, Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Vaal University of Technology, South Africa and Dr Jeff Daniells, Agri-Science Queensland, South Johnstone 4859, Australia for their English editing of this manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Almasi MA, Dehabadi SH, Moradi A, Eftekhari Z, Ojaghkandi MA, Aghaei S (2013) Development and application of loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid detection of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici. J Pl Pathol Microbiol 4:5Google Scholar
- Fakruddin MD (2011) Loop mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)—an alternative to polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Bangladesh Res Pub J 5:425–439Google Scholar
- Ganga Devi P, Thangavelu R (2014) Genetic diversity analyses of Mycosphaerella eumusae causing Septoria leaf spot disease of banana in India. Indian Phytopathol 67:388–395Google Scholar
- Hafner GJ, Yang IC, Wolter LC, Stafford MR, Giffard PM (2001) Isothermal amplification and multimerization of DNA by Bst DNA polymerase. Bio Techn 30:852–867Google Scholar
- Jones DR (2000) Diseases of banana, Abaca, and Enset. CABI publishing, CAB international, pp 37–97Google Scholar