Surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) performance on salbutamol detection of colloidal multi-shaped silver nanoparticles
- 12 Downloads
Monitoring the surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) ability of multi-shaped silver nanoparticles (MAgNPs) in comparison with silver nanospheres (AgNSs), we carried out the synthesis of MAgNPs from the AgNS seeds via the etching-growth process. The MAgNPs contained diverse anisotropic shapes such as hexagonal, circular, triangular and deformed plates as well as particles in the wide range of sizes from 30 to 250 nm. The SERS spectra of salbutamol (Sal) in the presence of colloid MAgNPs, showing higher sensitivity than AgNSs with a minimum detectable concentration of Sal, was determined at 2.5 and 1.25 ng/µL with colloid MAgNPs on glass and Si/SiO2 substrates, respectively. These results pointed out the shape of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) and their plasmonic resonance strongly affected by SERS performance. This study contributed to the development of the further facile and low-cost method for the SERS detection of Sal based on AgNPs.
KeywordsSurface-enhanced Raman scattering Multi-shaped silver nanoparticles Salbutamol Colloid Anisotropic
Surface-enhanced Raman scattering
Multi-shaped silver nanoparticles
Transmission electron microscopy
Inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometer
The standard deviation
- ζ potential
The authors acknowledge Mr. Khang Duy Vu Nguyen, Institute of Applied Material Science in HCM city for his help and good advice in all measurements also useful discussions in data analyses of Raman spectra and ICP-MS results. The many thanks would be given to Prof. Van Thanh Thi Tran, the University of Science in HCM city for material support. This research is funded by Vietnam National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) under Grant number 103.03-2018.59.
The authors contributed equally in the manuscripts.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no competing of interests.
- Caban M, Stepnowski P, Kwiatkowski M, Migowska N, Kumirska J (2011) Determination of β-blockers and β-agonists using gas chromatography and gas chromatography–mass spectrometry—a comparative study of the derivatization step. J Chromatogr A 1218(44):8110–8122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2011.08.093 Google Scholar
- Cao G, Huang Z, Miu X, Sun Y, Li Y, Chen J, Lei J (2017) Chen R Silver nanoparticle-treated paper as a surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) substrate for seminal plasma analysis. Optical Society of America, p W3A.12. https://doi.org/10.1364/PIBM.2017.W3A.12
- Guo C, Shi F, Gong L, Tan H, Hu D, Zhang J (2015) Ultra-trace analysis of 12 β2-agonists in pork, beef, mutton and chicken by ultrahigh-performance liquid-chromatography–quadrupole-orbitrap tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 107:526–534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2015.01.048 Google Scholar
- Gwamuri J, Ragavendran V, Sadatgol M, Mayandi J, Güney D, Pearce J (2017) Ambiance-dependent agglomeration and surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy response of self-assembled silver nanoparticles for plasmonic photovoltaic devices. J Photonics Energy. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JPE.7.037002 Google Scholar
- Jenkins SV, Qu H, Mudalige T, Ingle TM, Wang R, Wang F, Howard PC, Chen J, Zhang Y (2015) Rapid determination of plasmonic nanoparticle agglomeration status in blood. Biomaterials 51:226–237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2015.01.072 Google Scholar
- Mobasser S, Firoozi A (2016) Review of nanotechnology applications in science and engineering. J Civ Eng Urban 6(4):84–93Google Scholar
- Pastoriza-Santos I, Hamanaka Y, Fukuta K, Nakamura A, Liz-MarzáN LM (2003) Anisotropic silver nanoparticles: synthesis and optical properties. In: Liz-Marzán LM, Giersig M (eds) Low-dimensional systems: theory, preparation, and some applications. Springer Netherlands, Dordrecht, pp 65–75. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-010-0143-4_6 Google Scholar
- Stiles PL, Dieringer JA, Shah NC, Van Duyne RP (2008) Surface-enhanced raman spectroscopy. Annu Rev Anal Chem 1(1):601–626. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.anchem.1.031207.112814 Google Scholar