Fabrication of room temperature liquid petroleum gas sensor based on PAni–CNT–V2O5 hybrid nanocomposite
- 4 Downloads
Vanadium pentoxide (V2O5) nanoparticles have been synthesized by hydrothermal method. Polyaniline (PAni)—carbon nanotube (CNT)—V2O5 hybrid nanocomposite has synthesized by chemical polymerization of PAni in the presence of CNT—V2O5 nanocomposite. The band gap energy of the hybrid nanocomposite is calculated as 3.02 eV using UV–Vis absorption spectroscopy. Chemical composition and crystalline nature has been analyzed using fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction spectroscopy, respectively. Scanning electron microscope and transmission electron microscope are involved in the morphological analysis of the hybrid nanocomposite. Sensing electrodes are fabricated by spin coating of the sensing material on printed circuit board. The electrodes have been investigated for their sensing behavior towards oxygen, hydrogen and liquid petroleum gas (LPG) at room temperature. It has been observed that the electrode is selectively sensitive to the LPG with improved sensitivity (300%), response time (20 s) and recovery time (15 s) in the range of 10–50 ppm. The reproducibility of the response curve of the electrode is tested and it is 83.33% stable for the period of 50 days.
KeywordsPolyaniline Carbon nanotube Vanadium pentoxide Hybrid nanocomposite LPG sensing
We gratefully acknowledge DST-PURSE and RUSA-II for their financial support in the form fellowship and other infrastructure, respectively.
- Ates M, Karazehir T, Sezai Sarac A (2012) Conducting polymers and their applications. Curr Phys Chem 2:224–240. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.42.207 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Barkade SS, Pinjari DV, Singh AK, Gogate PR, Naik JB, Sonawane SH, Ashokkumar M, Pandit AB (2013) Ultrasound assisted miniemulsion polymerization for preparation of polypyrrole–Zinc oxide (PPy/ZnO) functional latex for liquefied petroleum gas sensing. Ind Eng Chem Res 52:7704–7712. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie301698g CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Carotta MC, Ferroni M, Gherardi S, Guidi V, Malagu` C, Martinelli G, Sacerdoti M, Di Vona ML, Licoccia S (2004) Thick-film gas sensors based on vanadium–titanium oxide powders prepared by sol–gel synthesis. J Eur Ceramic Soc 24:1409–1413. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2219(03)00418-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dexmer J, Leroy CM, Binet L, Heresanu V, Launois P, Steunou N, Coulon C, Maquet J, Brun N, Livage J, Backov R (2008) Vanadium oxide–PAni Nanocomposite-based macroscopic fibers: 1D alcohol sensors bearing enhanced toughness. Chem Mater 20:5541–5549. https://doi.org/10.1021/cm800886v CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Martínez-Barrera FNavarro-Pardo,G, Martínez-Hernández AL, Castaño VM, Rivera-Armenta JL, Medellín-Rodríguez F, Velasco-Santos C (2013) Effects on the thermo-mechanical and crystallinity properties of nylon 6,6 electrospun fibres reinforced with one dimensional (1D) and two dimensional (2D). Carbon Mater 6:3494–3513 https://doi.org/10.3390/ma6083494 Google Scholar