Preparation, physicochemical properties and antimicrobial activity of η-modification of titanium(IV) oxide intercalated with poly(N-vinylcaprolactam)
- 60 Downloads
PVCL-intercalated samples containing nano-dimensional phases with η-modification of the TiO2−x·nH2O composition are obtained by hydrolysis of TiOSO4·xH2SO4·yH2O or TiOSO4·xH2O in the presence of poly(N-vinylcaprolactam) (PVCL). The incorporation of PVCL with water molecules into the interlayer space of the structure of the η-phase—TiO2−x·(PVCL nH2O)—is established by the X-ray diffraction study while the presence of PVCL in the sample composition is confirmed by the X-ray photoelectron and IR spectroscopy CHNS analysis and X-ray spectral microanalysis. Intercalated samples manifest the antimicrobial activity against Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, and Candida albicans. It is shown that the sample composition (the content of hydrated titanium dioxide) the composition of the η-phase (the presence of PVCL and H2O or the water content in the interlayer space of the structure), and the surface composition (S in the form of SO42− groups O in the form of adsorbed water and OH groups) affect the antimicrobial activity in the dark.
KeywordsTitanium(IV) oxide Intercalation Antimicrobial activity Nanoparticles Polymer
This study was supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (agreement no. 4.1069.2017/PCh; 2017–2019).
The manuscript was written through contributions of all authors. All authors have given approval to the final version of the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Blatun LA (2015) Baneocin (powder ointment)—perspective for use in complex surgical treatment of purulent necrotic diseases of the lower extremities in patients with diabetic foot syndrome. Wounds and wound infections. Prof. BM Kostyuchenok J 2:36–44. https://doi.org/10.17650/2408-9613-2015-2-3-36-44 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chihacheva IP, Timaeva OI, Kuzґmicheva GM, Dorohov AV, Lobanova NA, Amarantov SV, Podbelґskiy VV, Serousov VE, Sadovskaya NV (2016) Specific physical and chemical properties of two modifications of poly(N-vinylcaprolactam). Crystallogr Rep 6:421–427. https://doi.org/10.1134/S106377451603007X CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chislov MV (2013) Intercalation of water into layered ANdTa2O7 perovskite-like oxides. Dissertation. St Petersburg State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Dadachov M (2006) Novel titanium dioxide process of making and method of using same. U.S. Patent Application Publication no. 20,060,171,877Google Scholar
- Datsenko B, Biryukova SV, Tamm TI (1989) Methodical recommendations for experimental (preclinical) study of drugs for topical treatment of purulent wounds. USSR, МoscowGoogle Scholar
- Feng QL, Wu J, Chen GQ, Cui FZ, Kim TN, Kim JO (2000) A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. J Biomed Mater Res 52:662–668. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4636(20001215)52:4%3C662::AID-JBM10%3E3.0.CO,2-3 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gainanova AA, Kuz’micheva GM, Khramov EV, Chumakov RG (2017) Vanadium doped nanosized titanium(IV) oxide: preparation, characterization and photocatalytic properties. In: Paper presented at the 2nd international conference on new photocatalytic materials for environment energy and sustainability (NPM-2), Ljubljana, Slovenia 2–6 July 2017Google Scholar
- Gerasin VA, Zubova TL, Bahov FN, Barannikov AA, Merekalova ND, Korolev YuM, Antipov EM (2007) The Structure of polymer/Na ± montmorillonite nanocomposites prepared via melt-blending. Nanotechnol Russ 2:90–105Google Scholar
- Karimzadeh I, Aghazadeh M, Doroudi T (2016) Preparation and characterization of poly(vinylpyrrolidone)/polyvinyl chloride coated supermagnetic iron oxide (Fe3O4) nanoparticles for biomedical applications. Anal Bioanal Electrochem 8:604–614Google Scholar
- Kirsh YuE, Karaputadze TM, Shumskii VI, Timashev SF, Krylova LA, Dobrov IB, Luhovickii BI, Popkov UM, Sheluhina GD, Polikarpov VV (1990) A method of preparation of poly(N-vinylcaprolactam). USSR Inventor’s Certificate no. 1613446Google Scholar
- Kuz’micheva GM (2015) Nanosized phases with titanium(IV) oxides. Preparation. Characterization. Properties. Fine Chem Technol 10:5–36Google Scholar
- Kuz’micheva GM, Gaynanova AA (2014) Method for the preparation of nanodimensional modification of η-TiO2. Patent no. 2,576,054Google Scholar
- Kuz’micheva GM, Savinkina EV, Obolenskaya LN, Belogorokhova LI, Chernobrovkin MG, Mavrin BN, Belogorokhova AI (2010) Synthesis characterization and properties of nanoscale titanium dioxide modifications with anatase and η-TiO2 structures. Crystallogr Rep 55:866–871. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063774510050287 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kuz’micheva GM, Podbel’sky VV, Gaynanova AA (2016) Program for qualitative and quantitative X-ray analysis of multiphase samples. No. 2,016,616,402Google Scholar
- Kuz’micheva GM, Podbel’sky VV, Stepanov AN, Gaynanova AA (2017a) Program for processing of diffraction patterns of nanosized and amorphous substances and calculation of the substructure. No. 2,017,610,699Google Scholar
- Kuzmicheva GM, Podbel’sky VV, Timaeva OI, Ishakova LR (2017b) Program for processing IR spectra and correlation of absorption bands with standards. No. 2,017,611,789Google Scholar
- Moulder JF, Stickle WF, Sobol PE, Bomben KD (1992) Handbook of X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. Perkin Elmer, Eden PrairieGoogle Scholar
- Naufal B, Periyat P (2016) High temperature stable dysprosium modified nano TiO2 photocatalyst. J Chem Pharm Sci Spec 1:68–74Google Scholar
- Obolenskaya LN, Kuzmicheva GM, Savinkina EV, Zhilkina AV, Sadovskaya NV, Prokudina NA, Chernyshev VV (2012) Influence of the conditions of the sulphate method on the characteristics of nanosized anatase-type samples. Russ Chem Bull 61:2049–1055. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11172-012-0286-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pazourkova L, Simha Martynkova G, Hundakova M, Barosova H (2014) Montmorillonite and vermiculite modified by N-vinylcaprolactam and poly(N-Vinylcaprolactam) preparation and characterization. In: Paper presented at the “Nanocon-2014”, Brno, Czech Republic, 5–7 Nov 2014Google Scholar
- Polat O (2005) Polymerization and polymer characterization of N-vinylcaprolactam. Thesis for the degree of Master of ScienceGoogle Scholar
- Premanathan M, Karthikeyan K, Jeyasubramanian K, Manivannan G (2011) Selective toxicity of ZnO nanoparticles toward gram-positive bacteria and cancer cells by apoptosis through lipid peroxidation. Nanomed Nanotechnol Biol Med 7:184–192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2010.10.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tarasevich BN (2012) IR spectra of the main classes of organic compounds. Nauka, RussiaGoogle Scholar