Gold nanoparticles tethered cinnamic acid: preparation, characterization, and cytotoxic effects on MCF-7 breast cancer cell lines
- 3 Downloads
The main objective of the study is to tether citrate-stabilized gold nanoparticles (CS©GNPs) with cinnamic acid (CA) and evaluating them against MCF-7 breast cancer cells. To achieve CA~CS©GNPs, CS©GNPs prepared were blended with CA under controlled experimental conditions followed by high-throughput characterization. The result from the study demonstrates that positively charged hydrogen moiety present in O–H group of CA provides an opportunity for binding of CS©GNPs via hydrogen bonding evidenced by color change (ruby to light purple) and spectroscopic analysis (UV–visible and FT-IR spectroscopy). The size and shape of CA~CS©GNPs were not the same as CS©GNPs substantiated by transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and dynamic light scattering (DLS) measurements. At the end, cytotoxic and morphological assessment against MCF-7 breast cancer cells shows effective suppression of tumor cells and thereby promoting them as promising nanoscale drug delivery system in near future.
KeywordsCinnamic acid Citrate-stabilized gold nanoparticles FT-IR Electron microscopy Cytotoxic studies Breast cancer
The work was supported by Early Career Research Award (ECR/2016/001456) from the Science Engineering and Research Board (SERB), New Delhi, India. We also thank SAIF AIIMS for providing transmission electron microscopic facilities.
- Kalmodia S, Vandhana S, Rama BT, Jayashree B, Seethalakshmi TS, Umashankar V, Yang W, Barrow C, Krishnakumar S, Elchuri S (2016) Bio-conjugation of antioxidant peptide on surface-modified gold nanoparticles: a novel approach to enhance the radical scavenging property in cancer cell. Cancer Nanotechnol 7:1CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liegler TJ, Hyun W, Yen TS, Stites DP (1995) Detection and quantification of live, apoptotic, and necrotic human peripheral lymphocytes by single-laser flow cytometry. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 2:369–376Google Scholar
- Nghiem T, La T, Vu X, Chu V, Nguyen T, Le Q, Fort E, Do Q, Tran H (2010) Synthesis, capping and binding of colloidal gold nanoparticles to proteins. Adv Nat Sci 1:025009Google Scholar
- Veeralakshmi S, Nehru S, Sabapathi G, Arunachalam S, Venuvanalingam P, Kumar P, Anusha C, Ravikumar V (2015) Single and double chain surfactant–cobalt (III) complexes: the impact of hydrophobicity on the interaction with calf thymus DNA, and their biological activities. RSC advances 5:31746–31758CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang YC, Wei LJ, Liu JT, Li SX, Wang QS (2012) Comparison of Cancer Incidence between China and the USA. Cancer Biol Med 9:128–132Google Scholar