Physicochemical evaluation of corn extrudates containing varying buckwheat flour levels prepared at various extrusion temperatures
- 15 Downloads
This study analyzed the characteristics (physicochemical properties as well as antioxidant activity) of corn grit extrudates containing buckwheat flour at various levels (0, 10, 20 and 30% w/w) extruded at various temperatures (130, 150 and 170 °C). Effect of roasting (92 °C for 15 min) on the extrudates was also studied. Buckwheat incorporation at different levels mainly increased the diameter, a* value (indicating redness), phenolic content and antioxidant capacity, while decreased bulk density and water absorption index of the extruded products. On the other hand, increment in extrusion temperature primarily increased the L* values (lightness), a* values and antioxidant activity but decreased the phenolic content of extrudates. Roasting improved the flavor and texture of the extrudates which was desirable. Extrudates prepared from corn grit with incorporation of buckwheat up to 20% level and extrusion cooking at 150 °C showed best sensory scores.
KeywordsCorn grit Buckwheat Extrusion Antioxidant activity
All the authors thank financial support from DST (India) and CSIR Project No. 38(1419)/16/EMR-II.
- Acar R, Arslan D, Günes A (2011) Effect of plant parts and harvest period on rutin, quercetin, total phenol contents and antioxidant activity of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Möench) cultivated in Turkey. Asian J Chem 23:3240Google Scholar
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis of AOAC international, 17th edn. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USAGoogle Scholar
- Anderson RA, Conway HF, Pfeifer VF, Griffin EL (1969) Roll and extrusion-cooking of grain sorghum grits. Cereal Sci Today 14:372–376Google Scholar
- Jozinović A, Šubarić D, Ačkar Đ, Babić J, Klarić I, Kopjar M, ValekLendić K (2012) Influence of buckwheat and chestnut flour addition on properties of corn extrudates. Croat J Food Sci Technol 4:26–33Google Scholar
- Wójtowicz A, Kolasa A, Mościcki L (2013) Influence of buckwheat addition on physical properties, texture and sensory characteristics of extruded corn snacks. Pol J Food Nutr Sci 63:239–244Google Scholar