Performance of nanofiltration process during concentration of strawberry juice
- 11 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate the microfiltration and nanofiltration of strawberry juice. Processes performance was evaluated in terms of resistances-in-series, flux decline modeling and extract quality (maintenance of the phenolic compounds). The results obtained showed that concentration polarization is the main resistance to permeate flux in nanofiltration process, representing around 95% of the total resistance. Microfiltration process suffered more influence of the concentration polarization and fouling, next to 47% for both resistances. For all the processes, Hermia’s pore blocking models presented good fitting, with R2 over 0.85. The same behavior was observed for a conjugated model which provided a realistic description (R2 > 0.76). Also, nanofiltration process allowed phenolic compounds maintenance, demonstrating the efficiency of this process for strawberry juice concentration.
KeywordsFruit juices Food process modelling Membrane technology Phenolics
The authors are thankful to the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq—Brazil) and Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Level Personnel (CAPES—Brazil) for the financial support and scholarships.
- FAO (2014) Agricultural production/strawberry. FAO Statistical Yearbook. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i3590e.pdf. Accessed 27 Feb 2016
- Hermia J (1982) Constant pressure blocking filtration laws—application to power-law non-newtonian fluids. Icheme 60:183–187Google Scholar
- Marshall AD, Daufin G (1995) Physico-chemical aspects of membrane fouling by dairyfluids. In: Fouling and cleaning in pressure driven membrane processes, Brussels, pp 8–35Google Scholar
- Mello BCBS (2013) Extração de própolis em meio aquoso e concentração dos extratos por nanofiltração. http://repositorio.unicamp.br/bitstream/REPOSIP/255161/1/Mello_BeatrizCamargoBarrosdeSilveira_D.pdf. Accessed 17 Jan 2016
- Mierzwa JC, Silva MCC, Rodrigues LDB, Hespanhol I (2008) Tratamento de água para abastecimento público por ultrafiltração: Avaliação comparativa através dos custos diretos de implantação e operação com os sistemas convencional e convencional com carvão ativado. Eng Sanit e Ambient 13:78–87CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ornelas-paz JDJ, Yahia EM, Ramírez-bustamante N, Pérez-martínez JD, Escalante-minakata P, Ibarra-junquera V, Acosta-muñiz C, Guerrero-prieto V, Ochoa-reyes E (2013) Physical attributes and chemical composition of organic strawberry fruit (Fragaria × ananassa Duch, Cv. Albion) at six stages of ripening. Food Chem 138:372–381CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Portal do Agronegócio (2014) O morango http://www.portaldoagronegocio.com.br/artigo/o-morango. Accessed 17 June 2016
- Singleton VL, Rossi JA (1965) Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 16:44–58Google Scholar