Controlled release of nisin from Neusilin particles to enhance food safety of sour curd cheese
- 4 Downloads
Nisin is frequently added as food additive to soft cheese to increase food safety against foodborne pathogens like Listeria monocytogenes. The goal of this study was the extension of the antimicrobial activity of nisin in sour curd cheese (SCC) by self-releasing adsorbed nisin from Neusilin UFL2 over production-based pH shift. First, the antimicrobial activity of nisin adsorbed to Neusilin UFL2 (UFL2-N) and free nisin was investigated in BHI broth at a pH range from 7.5 to 4.5 for each of six L. monocytogenes field isolates. UFL2-N showed similar minimal inhibition concentration to L. monocytogenes over time as free nisin. Distribution of nebulized, fluorescence-labelled UFL2 was homogenous on SCC surface. Thereafter, SCC surface was inoculated with L. monocytogenes and 0.004, 0.013, 0.026, and 0.132 mg mL−1 UFL2-N or free nisin. In SCC, L. monocytogenes was below quantification limit at 0.132 mg mL−1 UFL2-N or free nisin after 2 days of ripening. Collectively, UFL2-N enabled a slow release and antilisterial activity in vitro as well as in cheese manufacturing.
KeywordsAdsorption Food safety Listeria monocytogenes Neusilin UFL2 Nisin
This research was financially supported by Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy on the basis of a decision by the German Bundestag (KF3083302SK3) and technical alliance Oberfranken (TAO).
- Chollet E, Sebti I, Martial-Gros A, Degraeve P (2008) Nisin preliminary study as a potential preservative for sliced ripened cheese: NaCl, fat and enzymes influence on nisin concentration and its antimicrobial activity. Food Control 19:982–989. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2007.10.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EU (2011) Commission Regulation (EU) No 1129/2011 of 11 November 2011 amending Annex II to Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council by establishing a union list of food additives. Commission Regulation (EU) No 1129/2011 of 11 November 2011 amending Annex II to Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council by establishing a union list of food additivesGoogle Scholar
- Fretz R, Sagel U, Ruppitsch W, Pietzka AT, Stöger A, Huhulescu S, Heuberger S, Pichler J, Much P, Pfaff G, Stark K, Prager R, Flieger A, Feenstra O, Allerberger F (2010) Listeriosis outbreak caused by acid curd cheese ‘Quargel’, Austria and Germany 2009. Euro Surveill. https://doi.org/10.2807/ese.15.05.19477-en Google Scholar
- Kudamala S, Murthy KVR (2017) Applicability of a novel carrier, Neusilin UFL2, for the preparation of domperidone liquisolid tablets. World J Pharm Pharam Sci 6:1662–1671Google Scholar
- Muyzer G, De Waal E, Uitterlinden A (1993) Profiling of complex microbial populations by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis analysis of polymerase chain reaction-amplified genes coding for 16S rRNA. Appl Environ Microbiol 59:695–700Google Scholar