Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Agave angustifolia extract on overall quality and shelf life of pork patties stored under refrigeration
Agave plants contain different bioactive compounds that are related to different biological activities; however, the application of Agave as a food additive has rarely been evaluated. The objective of this study was to evaluate the antioxidant and antimicrobial potential of Agave angustifolia extract (AAE) on pork patties stored at 4 °C during 10 days. According to the spectrophotometric analysis, AAE contained phenolic compounds and saponins. In addition, AAE exhibited antioxidant activity based on DPPH, ABTS and FRAP assays (94.2, 239.1 and 148.8 µmol ET/g, respectively). Likewise, AAE showed bactericidal activity against Staphylococcus epidermidis (60 mg/mL) and Escherichia coli (60 mg/mL). AAE demonstrated a protective effect against oxidative processes (TBARS and metmyoglobin) in patties compared to the control group. Mesophilic and psychotropic counts showed that AAE exhibited a weak antimicrobial effect. AAE showed a protective effect on redness and lightness (at 3 and 10 days of storage, respectively). Sensory evaluation found that AAE had no effect on the analyzed parameters. AAE exhibited antioxidant activity that preserve quality and extended the shelf life of pork patties.
KeywordsAntimicrobial Antioxidants Agave angustifolia Pork patties
The authors thank to Thalia Yamileth Islava-Lagarda for the technical support provided in the laboratory evaluations.
- Ahumada-Santos YP, Montes-Avila J, De Jesús Uribe-Beltrán M, Díaz-Camacho SP, López-Angulo G, Vega-Aviña R, López-Valenzuela JA, Heredia JB, Delgado-Vargas F (2013) Chemical characterization, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of six Agave species from Sinaloa, Mexico. Ind Crop Prod 49:143–149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2013.04.050 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ayala-Zavala J, Vega-Vega V, Rosas-Domínguez C, Palafox-Carlos H, Villa-Rodriguez J, Siddiqui MW, Dávila-Aviña J, González-Aguilar G (2011) Agro-industrial potential of exotic fruit byproducts as a source of food additives. Food Res Int 44:1866–1874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.02.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dave D, Ghaly AE (2011) Meat spoilage mechanisms and preservation techniques: a critical review. AJABS 6:486–510Google Scholar
- FAO (Organización de Las Naciones Unidas) (2015). Iniciativa mundial sobre la reducción de la pérdida y el desperdicio de alimentos. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4068s.pdf. Accessed 22 Mar 2015
- García-Mendoza A (2007) Los Agaves de México. Ciencias 87:14–23Google Scholar
- Juneja VK, Altuntaş EG, Ayhan K, Hwang CA, Sheen S, Friedman M (2013) Predictive model for the reduction of heat resistance of Listeria monocytogenes in ground beef by the combined effect of sodium chloride and apple polyphenols. Int J Food Microbiol 164:54–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2013.03.008 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nawar WW (1996) Lipids. In: Fennema O (ed) Food Chemistry, 3rd edn. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 225–319Google Scholar
- O’Grady M, Monahan F, Brunton N (2001) Oxymyoglobin oxidation and lipid oxidation in bovine muscle—mechanistic studies. J Food Sci 66:386–392. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2001.tb16115.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Qin YY, Zhang ZH, Li L, Xiong W, Shi JY, Zhao TR, Fan J (2013) Antioxidant effect of pomegranate rind powder extract, pomegranate juice, and pomegranate seed powder extract as antioxidants in raw ground pork meat. Food Sci Biotecnol 22:1063–1069. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-013-0184-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Selani M, Contreras-Castillo C, Shirahigue L, Gallo C, Plata-Oviedo M, Montes-Villanueva N (2011) Wine industry residues extracts as natural antioxidants in raw and cooked chicken meat during frozen storage. Meat Sci 88:397–403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.01.017 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Singleton V, Rossi JA (1965) Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Viticut 16:144–158Google Scholar
- Warris P (1979) The extraction of haem pigments from fresh meat. Int J Food Sci Tech 14:75–80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb00849.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar