Effect of extrusion on thermal, textural and rheological properties of legume based snack
- 112 Downloads
Attempts have been made to improve dough handling properties and quality of legume based snack by incorporating extruded black gram (EBG) flour as partial substitute for raw black gram (RBG) flour. In present work overall quality improvement was achieved by analyzing (a) thermal properties of RBG and EBG flour (b) rheological properties (shear stress, shear rate, storage modulus, loss modulus, deflection angle and complex viscosity) of legume based snack dough and (c) post frying characteristics (colour and texture) of legume based snack. Three different legume based snack samples with different flour formulations (RBG flour, RBG flour incorporated with 25% EBG flour and RBG flour incorporated with 50% EBG flour) were prepared, characterized and compared with standard market sample. Dough exhibited shear thinning behaviour and G′ and G″ showed rising behaviour with angular frequency whereas, complex viscosity showed decreasing behaviour. Herschel–Bulkley model was best fitted. Significant changes were observed in values of onset, peak and endset gelatinization temperatures on extraction of black gram flour which improved dough handling properties during papad processing and enhanced organoleptic profile of end product.
KeywordsBlack gram flour Extrusion Dough rheology Characterization of legume based snack
This work was supported by funding from University Grants Commission (UGC), India.
- Castell-Perez M, Mishra A (1995) Flow behavior of regular and peanut-fortified idli batters. J Texture Stud 26:273–279. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.1995.tb00965.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Juliano BO (1998) Varietal impact on rice quality. Cereal Food World 43:207–222Google Scholar
- Kaur K, Singh N, Singh H (2000) The effect of extruded flour and fermentation time on some quality parameters of idli. J Food Qual 23:15–25. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.2000.tb00192.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maskat MY, Rohaya MS, Maaruf AG (2013) Rheological properties of different degree of pregelatinized rice flour batter. Sains Malays 42:1707–1714Google Scholar
- Singh N, Bawa AS, Sekhon KS (1995) Quality improvement of idli using extruded rice flour. J Food Qual 18:193–202. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1995.tb00374.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar