Parapharyngeal Hemangiopericytoma: the Role for Mandibular Proximal Segment Replantation—Review of Literature
- 1 Downloads
Pharyngeal hemangiopericytoma is a rare tumor .Surgical access to space has been selected based on the location of the tumor in this space, size, and type of pathology. Hemangiopericytoma requires extracapsular dissection. Hemorrhagic nature and tight attachment to adjacent tissues are the other reasons for choosing the surgical approach with the best access. The patient was a 55-year-old female with left-sided facial swelling and dumbbell-shaped lesion involving buccal and lateral pharyngeal space. Brisk hemorrhage happened during biopsy. Submandibular incision, osteotomy of mandibular angle, and temporary proximal segment removal were done. Extracapsular dissection of the lesion performed under direct vision. Proximal segment was returned to the original location and internally fixed with miniplate. Postoperative course was without complication. Mandibular proximal segment replantation technique should be used to treat parapharyngeal tumors with a hemorrhagic tendency.
KeywordsHemangiopericytoma Mandibular osteotomy Parapharyngeal tumors
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Van Rompaey J, Suruliraj A, Carrau R et al (2013) Access to the parapharyngeal space: an anatomical study comparing the endoscopic and open approaches. Laryngoscope 123:2378–2382Google Scholar
- 9.Basaran B, Polat B, Unsaler S, Ulusan M, Aslan I, Hafiz G (2014) Parapharyngeal space tumours: the efficiency of a transcervical approach without mandibulotomy through review of 44 cases. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 34:310–316Google Scholar
- 12.Fishero BA, Guido KM, McGuff HS et al (2013) Hemangiopericytoma of the parapharyngeal space. Ear Nose Throat J 92:436–440Google Scholar
- 15.Fountoulakis EN, Papadaki E, Panagiotaki I, Giannikaki E, Lagoudianakis G, Bizakis J (2011) Primary haemangiopericytoma of the parapharyngeal space: an unusual tumour and review of the literature. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 31:194–198Google Scholar
- 16.Shaia WT, Bojrab DI, Babu S, Pieper DR (2006) Lipomatous hemangiopericytoma of the skull base and parapharyngeal space. Otol Neurotol 27:560–563Google Scholar
- 19.Kairemo KJ, Hopsu EV, Melartin EJ et al (1991) Imaging of a parapharyngeal hemangiopericytoma. Radioimmunoscintigraphy (SPECT) with indium-111-labeled anti-CEA antibody, and comparison to digital subtraction angiography, computed tomography, and immunohistochemistry. Cancer 67:61–66CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.McIlrath DC, Remine WH (1963) Parapharyngeal tumors. Surg Clin N Am 43:1041–1047Google Scholar
- 22.Rosignoli M, Cadoni G, Rabitti C et al (1993) Hemangiopericytoma of parapharyngeal space. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 13:455–465Google Scholar