Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction in Conservation Surgery: Steps to Follow for a Successful Work
- 1 Downloads
I read with interest the work of Santosh N. Mathapati and colleagues  and would like to add some useful information for the surgeons in the decision-making about oncoplastic breast conservation surgery (OBCS) to optimize oncological and cosmetic outcomes.
Oncoplastic techniques are being used with increasing frequency in the multidisciplinary treatment of patients with operable breast cancer. The diffusion of this procedure comes from reported data that seem to indicate higher oncological safety and better cosmetic efficacy [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].
It may allow wider excision of the tumor with safer margins and reduced cosmetic penalties.
It may avoid the need for mastectomy in a number of patients, without compromising local control. The patient avoids more extensive surgery and the higher complication rate and greater morbidity associated with total...
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Mathapati SN, Goel A, Mehta S, Aggarwal J, Aravindan R, Nayak V, Panda SK, Pande PK, Kumar K (2019) Oncoplastic breast reconstruction in breast conservation surgery: improving the oncological and aesthetic outcomes. Indian J Surg Oncol 10:303–308. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-019-00900-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.(NCCN) (2019) Clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Breast Cancer (NCCN Guidelines) Version .2019 – March. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/breast.pdf
- 4.Weber WP, Soysal SD, El-Tamer M, Sacchini V, Knauer M, Tausch C, Hauser N, Günthert A, Harder Y, Kappos EA, Schwab F, Fitzal F, Dubsky P, Bjelic-Radisic V, Reitsamer R, Koller R, Heil J, Hahn M, Blohmer JU, Hoffmann J, Solbach C, Heitmann C, Gerber B, Haug M, Kurzeder C (2017 Aug) First international consensus conference on standardization of oncoplastic breast conserving surgery. Breast Cancer Res Treat 165(1):139–149CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Franceschini G, Terribile D, Magno S, Fabbri C, Accetta C, Di Leone A, Moschella F, Barbarino R, Scaldaferri A, Darchi S, Carvelli ME, Bove S, Masetti R (2012) Update on oncoplastic breast surgery. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 16(11):1530–1540Google Scholar
- 7.Franceschini G, Magno S, Fabbri C, Chiesa F, Di Leone A, Moschella F, Scafetta I, Scaldaferri A, Fragomeni S, Adesi Barone L, Terribile D, Salgarello M, Masetti R (2008) Conservative and radical oncoplastic approches in the surgical treatment of breast cancer. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 12(6):387–396Google Scholar