The Current Status of Peritoneal Surface Oncology in Saudi Arabia
Peritoneal carcinomatosis (PC) is a common evolution of abdominal cancers. It may arise from the peritoneum itself (primary) or originate from another type of cancer especially those of gastrointestinal or gynecological origin (secondary). Without aggressive multimodal therapeutic approaches, PC is associated with a poor prognosis. Cytoreductive surgery (CRS) and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) have been used to treat PC since 1990. In Saudi Arabia, the first CRS and HIPEC were done in 2008. In 2018, Saudi Arabia population is 32 millions of people and the demand for such procedures has grown up. This article gives outlines of the current status of peritoneal surface oncology in Saudi Arabia and the future perspective.
KeywordsPeritoneal metastasis CRS HIPEC PIPAC
The Saudi Arabia Peritoneal Surface Oncology Group needs more centers and more trained surgeons to cover for the rising demand. The next challenge will be to start the PC registry and start collaborative project between centers.
- 1.Sadeghi B, Arvieux C, Glehen O, Beaujard AC, Rivoire M, Baulieux J, Fontaumard E, Brachet A, Caillot JL, Faure JL, Porcheron J, Peix JL, François Y, Vignal J, Gilly FN (2000) Peritoneal carcinomatosis from non-gynecologic malignancies: results of the EVOCAPE 1 multicentric prospective study. Cancer 88(2):358–363CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Sugarbaker PH, Cunliffe WJ, Belliveau J, de Bruijn EA, Graves T, Mullins RE, Schlag P (1989) Rationale for integrating early postoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy into the surgical treatment of gastrointestinal cancer. Semin Oncol 16(4 Suppl 6):83–97Google Scholar
- 3.Gilly FN, Sayag AC, Carry PY, Braillon GG, James IM, Volloch AA, Panteix GG (1991) Intra-peritoneal chemo-hyperthermia (CHIP): a new therapy in the treatment of the peritoneal seedings. Preliminary report. Int Surg 76(3):164–167Google Scholar
- 4.Chua TC, Moran BJ, Sugarbaker PH, Levine EA, Glehen O, Gilly FN, Baratti D, Deraco M, Elias D, Sardi A, Liauw W, Yan TD, Barrios P, Gómez Portilla A, de Hingh IHJT, Ceelen WP, Pelz JO, Piso P, González-Moreno S, van der Speeten K, Morris DL (2012) Early- and long-term outcome data of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei from appendiceal origin treated by a strategy of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 30(20):2449–2456CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Yan TD, Deraco M, Baratti D, Kusamura S, Elias D, Glehen O, Gilly FN, Levine EA, Shen P, Mohamed F, Moran BJ, Morris DL, Chua TC, Piso P, Sugarbaker PH (2009) Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: multi-institutional experience. J Clin Oncol 27(36):6237–6242CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Saudi Cancer Registry (2015) Saudi Arabia cancer incidence report 2012. Saudi Cancer Registry, RiyadhGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sebai ZAMW, Al-Zulaibani AA (2001) Health care services in Saudi Arabia: past, present and future. J Family Community Med 8(3):19–23Google Scholar