Factors Affecting Heterosexual Attitudes to Same-Sex Marriage in Australia
- 1.2k Downloads
Same-sex marriage (SSM) has been a contentious topic in recent times. Despite current trends indicating that support for same-sex marriage is on the rise in Australia, attempts to introduce marriage equality legislation have failed. This study examined influential factors affecting attitudes towards same-sex marriage in Australia. A sample of heterosexual Australians completed a survey regarding their attitudes to marriage equality, homophobia, beliefs about a nature or nurture basis for same-sex attraction, common assumptions and beliefs about the etiology of same-sex attraction and social desirability. Believing that the etiology of same-sex attraction is nature-based predicted positive attitudes towards same-sex marriage whereas thinking sexual orientation is nurture-based predicted negative attitudes. Mediation analysis was used to assess the relationship between etiology beliefs and attitudes towards same-sex marriage. Homophobia fully explained the effect of nature beliefs and partially explained the effect of nurture beliefs on attitudes to same-sex marriage. Given that attitudes towards same-sex marriage are not created in a vacuum, the study also explored what people felt were their most influential sources of beliefs about the origins of same-sex attraction. The implications of the research findings for those lobbying for marriage equality in Australia are discussed.
KeywordsSame-sex marriage Etiology beliefs Gay men Lesbian Attitudes Australia
Compliance with Ethical Standards
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- American Psychological Association. (2011). Resolution on marriage equality for same-sex couples. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/about/policy/same-sex.aspx.
- Australian Catholic Bishops Conference. (2015). Don’t mess with marriage: A pastoral letter from the Catholic Bishops of Australia to all Australians on the ‘same-sex marriage’ debate. Retrieved from https://www.catholic.org.au/.
- Australian Human Rights Commission. (2012). Marriage equality in a changing world: Position paper on marriage equality. Retrieved from https://www.humanrights.gov.au/sites/default/files/content/pdf/human_rights/MarriagePositionPaper2012.pdf.
- Australian Marriage Alliance. (2015). There’s more to it than you think. Retrieved from http://www.marriagealliance.com.au/.
- Australian Marriage Forum. (2015). Its not marriage. Retrieved from http://australianmarriage.org/.
- Australian Psychological Society. (2010). Submission to senate inquiry: Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2010. Retrieved from http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/APS-Submission-to-Senate-on-Marriage-Equality-Amendment-Bill-2010%20.pdf.
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173–1182. doi: 10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243.
- Chonody, J. M., Kavanagh, P. S., & Woodford, M. R. (2016). Does closeness to someone who is gay, lesbian, or bisexual influence etiology beliefs about homosexuality? J Homosex, 1–23. doi: 10.1080/00918369.2016.1172863.
- Crosby Textor. (2014). Same-sex marriage research 2014: Summary results. Retrieved from http://www.australianmarriageequality.org/.
- Field, A. (2013). Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS statistics (4th ed.). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Galupo, M. P., & Pearl, M. L. (2008). Bisexual attitudes toward same-sex marriage. Journal of Bisexuality, 7(3-4), 287–301. doi: 10.1080/15299710802171357
- Hayes, A. F. (2013). Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach. London: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Johnson, C. (2015). Why Australia is so far behind the times on same-sex marriage. The Conversation. Retrieved from http://theconversation.com/.
- Keany, F & Holman, J. (2016). Same-sex marriage plebiscite blocked by Senate. ABC News. Retrieved from http://abc.net.au.
- King, K. A. (2007). Marriage Amendment Act: Can Australia prohibit same-sex marriage. Pacific Rim Law & Policy Journal 16(1), 137–165. Retrieved from https://digital.lib.washington.edu/.
- Leonard, W., Lyons, A., & Bariola, E. (2015). A closer look at lives 2: Addressing the mental health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Australians, Monograph series no. 103. Melbourne: Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society. doi: 10.4225/50/557E58D55A595.Google Scholar
- Marriage Act 1961 (Cth) (Austl.). (2014). Retrieved from: https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2014C00340.
- Marriage Amendment (Marriage Equality) Bill 2015 (Cth) (Austl.). Retrieved from http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r5470.
- Marriage Amendment Act 2004 (Cth) (Austl.). Retrieved from https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2004A01361.
- Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2010 (Cth) (Austl.). Retrieved from http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=s792.
- Marriage Equality Amendment Bill 2012 (Cth) (Austl.). Retrieved from http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r4748.
- Mosler, D. (2002). Australia, the recreational society. Bloomington, Westport: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Ramos, C., Goldberg, N. G., & Badgett, M. V. L. (2009). The effects of marriage equality in Massachusetts: A survey of the experiences and impact of marriage on same-sex couples. The Williams Institute. Retrieved from https://escholarship.org/.
- Reynolds, W. M. (1982). Development of reliable and valid short forms of the Marlowe-Crowne Social Desirability Scale. J Clin Psychol, 38(1), 119–125. doi: 10.1002/1097-4679(198201)38:1<119::AID-JCLP2270380118>3.0.CO;2-I.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sheldon, J. P., Pfeffer, C. A., Jayaratne, T. E., Feldbaum, M., & Petty, E. M. (2007). Beliefs about the etiology of homosexuality and about the ramifications of discovering its possible genetic origin. J Homosex, 52(3–4), 111–150. doi: 10.1300/J082v52n03_06.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Webb, S. N., & Chonody, J. (2012). Marriage equality in Australia: The influence of attitudes toward same-sex parenting. Gay and Lesbian Issues and Psychology, 8(3), 13 Retrieved from http://www.cihuatl.pueg.unam.mx/pinakes/userdocs/assusr/A2/A2_2137.pdf#page=44.Google Scholar