Application of pre-stack simultaneous inversion to predict gas-bearing dolomite reservoir: a case study from Sichuan Basin, China
- 9 Downloads
Pre-stack simultaneous inversion is a seismic exploration technology which is widely applied to recognize lithology and detect oil and gas by analyzing the feature of amplitude variation versus offset (AVO). A gas-bearing reservoir can cause an obvious change in P-impedance and density. To effectively discriminate gas-bearing dolomite within Longwangmiao Fm. in Sichuan Basin of China, the pre-stack inversion method is employed by strict quality procedures. These procedures mainly include rock physics analysis, AVO modeling and pre-stack simultaneous inversion. Using the technology, P-impedance, S-impedance and density are obtained simultaneously. The distribution of gas-bearing dolomite is identified by P-impedance versus density cross-plotting from well data. The final prediction result indicates the existence of gas-bearing dolomite in the upper part of Longwangmiao Fm. in the study area, which is consistent with well data. Generally, pre-stack simultaneous inversion represents an effective method to predict gas-bearing dolomite reservoir and should be applicable in other study areas.
KeywordsSichuan Basin Gas-bearing dolomite reservoir Rock physics Pre-stack simultaneous inversion
This research is funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 41406050) and Research Award Fund for Outstanding Young and Middle-aged Scientists of Shan-dong Province (BS2014HZ001). Thanks and appreciation goes to the colleagues involved in this research.
- Aki KI, Richards PG (1980) Quantitative seismology: theory and methods. W H Freeman and Co, Cambridge, pp 144–154Google Scholar
- Bale R, Leaney S, Dumitru G (2001) Offset-to-angle transformations for PP and PS AVO analysis. In: 71th annual international meeting, SEG, expanded abstracts, pp 235–238Google Scholar
- Hampson DP, Russell BH, Bankhead B (2005) Simultaneous inversion of pre-stack seismic data. In: 75th Annual international meeting, SEG, expanded abstracts, pp 1633–1636Google Scholar
- Liu SG, Sun W, Luo ZL et al (2013) XingKaitaphro-genesis and petroleum exploration from Upper Sinian to Cambrian Strata in Sichuan Basin, China [J]. J Chengdu Univ Technol (Sci Technol ed) 40(5):511–520 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Liu SG, Song JM, Zhao YH, Y Z et al (2014) Controlling factors of formation and distribution of Lower Cambrian Longwangmiao Formation high-quality reservoirs in Sichuan Basin, China [J]. J Chengdu Univ Technol (Sci Technol ed) 41(6):657–670 (In Chinese) Google Scholar
- Liu SG, Sun W, Luo ZL et al (2016) Control of intracratonic sags on the hydrocarbon accumulations in the marine strata across the Sichuan Basin, China [J]. J Chengdu Univ Technol (Sci Technol ed) 43(1):1–23 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Zoeppritz K (1919) Erdbebenwellen VIIIB: on the reflection and penetration of seismic waves through unstable layers. Goettinger Nachrichten 1:66–84Google Scholar