Characterization of the complete chloroplast genome of an endemic species of pea family in China, Ormosia hosiei (Fabaceae)
- 255 Downloads
Ormosia hosiei (Fagaceae), a critically endangered plant species, is famous for its excellent wood from which the carving craft and high-grade furniture can be made. In this study, we characterized the complete chloroplast genome of O. hosiei based on next generation sequencing to analyze its phylogenetic position. The circular complete chloroplast genome of O. hosiei was 171,642 bp in length, containing a large single-copy (LSC) region of 72,295 bp and a small single-copy (SSC) region of 18,659 bp. These two regions were separated by a pair of inverted repeat regions (IRa and IRb), each of them 40,344 bp. A total of 144 functional genes were encoded, consisted of 98 protein-coding genes, 38 tRNA genes, and 8 rRNA genes. The overall GC content of the chloroplast genome was 38.1%, and the GC contents of the LSC, SSC, and IR regions were 33.5, 29.8, and 39.3%, respectively. The phylogenetic analysis by maximum likelihood showed that the O. hosiei is clustered into one clade with Styphnolobium japonicum by strong support values, and thus is closely related to Styphnolobium.
KeywordsOrmosia hosiei Complete chloroplast Genome phylogenetic analysis
This work was financially supported by Public Science and Technology Research Funds Program of Ocean (201505009) and Science and Technology Project of Fujian Science and Technology Department (2018Y3006).
- Doyle JJ (1987) A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem Bull 19:11–15Google Scholar
- Fan HH, Li CH, Zhang R, Chen LY (2011) Ormosia hosiei tissue culture technique. J Fujian For Sci Technol 38:100–102 + 103Google Scholar
- Feng JG, Ji JX, Zhou ZC, Zhai H, Huang HY, He YF (2007) Cultivation techniques for high-grade material Ormosia hosiei of special economy. China For Sci Technol 5:93–95Google Scholar
- Li FQ, Zhou ZC, Xie YJ (2017) Genetic diversity and genetic differentiation of different populations of Ormosia hosiei in three watersheds. Mol Plant Breed 15:4263–4274Google Scholar
- The IUCN Red list of threatened species. http://www.iucnredlist.org/search
- The list of key protected wild plants in China. http://rep.iplant.cn/prot/Ormosia%20hosiei
- Wang BS, He BT, Chen XL, Shen B, Hu GC (2015) Seedling cultivation of Ormosia hosiei by root cutting. J Zhejiang For Sci Technol 35(05):65–68Google Scholar
- Zhang RH, Liu HE, Wu LF, Gao YT, Xu YK (1994) Seedling cultivation techniques of nine rare and valuable tree species and their seedling growth. J Zhejiang For Sci Technol 6:1–4Google Scholar
- Zhao Y, He YF, Zhou ZC, Feng JG, Jin GQ, Wang BS (2008) Genetic diversity of five naturally reserved Ormosia hosiei populations in Zhejiang and Fujian provinces. Chin J Ecol 8:279–1283Google Scholar