Processing of Mica for Extraction of Alumina and Potash Values
- 21 Downloads
Mica sample containing 34% alumina and 9% potash has been investigated as a potential dual source of alumina and potash. It was found that planetary milling had a strong effect on structure breakdown as well as on the release of alumina and potash values. Both alumina and potash were extracted from mica using mechanical milling followed by hydrochloric acid leaching and precipitation process. The optimal conditions derived from statistical design yielded 72% alumina and 75% potash values in the form of γ-alumina and sylvinite. The analysis of the final precipitate was carried out by different characterization techniques such as XRD, SEM–EDS, XRF, BET surface area analysis.
KeywordsMica Alumina Potash Milling Leaching Precipitation
The authors acknowledge the financial grant received from the Ministry of Mines and Science Engineering Research Board to carry out the research work.
- 1.IBM, Indian Minerals Yearbook 2017 (Part-III: Mineral Reviews), 56th edn, Potash.Google Scholar
- 3.Habashi F, Metall, 71 (2017) 338.Google Scholar
- 6.Hayrapetyan S S, Mangasaryan L G, Tovmasyan M R, Khachatryan H G, Acta Chromatographica 16 (2016) 192.Google Scholar
- 7.Habashi F, Handbook of Extractive Metallurgy Volume 2, WILEY-VCH (1997) ISBN. 3-527-287-92-2.Google Scholar
- 8.Chitan M, Ali Hosseini S, Salari D, Niaei, S, Mehrizadeh, J Chem Eng 34 (2017) 66.Google Scholar
- 12.Da L, Jiang K, Jiang X, Wang S, Fan Y, Liu W, Hydrometallurgy 176 (2018) 1.Google Scholar
- 18.Kumar G, Tanvar H, Pratap Y, Dhawan N, Trans Indian Inst Met (2018) https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-018-1452-3.
- 21.Tanvar H, Dhawan N, Sep Sci Technol (2019) https://doi.org/10.1080/01496395.2019.1588317.
- 22.Kumar A, Tanvar H, Pratap Y, Dhawan N, Mining Metallurgy & Explor 36 (2018) 547.Google Scholar
- 23.Samantray J, Anand A, Dash B, Ghosh M K, Behera A K, Trans Indian Inst Met (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-019-01730-z.