Mechanical and Wear Behaviour of Hot-Pressed 304 stainless Steel Matrix Composites Containing TiB2 Particles
- 7 Downloads
In the present article, mechanical and wear behaviour of hot-pressed 304 stainless steel matrix composites containing 2 and 4 vol% TiB2 particles was investigated. A density of over 92% was achieved at optimum hot-pressing temperature and TiB2 particles’ content. Microhardness and yield strength of the composites were found to be improved remarkably as compared to their unreinforced counterpart. The enhancement of mechanical properties of the composites was discussed in light of their microstructural aspects and different possible strengthening mechanism models. Taylor strengthening was found to be dominant strengthening mechanism as compared to Orowan strengthening and load-bearing effect. Dry sliding wear behaviour was also investigated under load of 35 N at sliding speed 0.3 m/s. The wear resistance of the composites was found to be improved owing to uniform distribution of hard TiB2 particles. Based on our findings, it was concluded that processing parameters and amount of TiB2 have significant influence on mechanical and wear behaviour of steel matrix composites.
Keywords304 stainless steel Hot pressing Microstructure Mechanical properties Wear
The authors are grateful to the director, CSIR-IMMT, Bhubaneswar, for supporting and giving permission to publish this research work.
- 8.Sulima I, Jaworska L, Wyżga P, and Perek-Nowak M, J Achiev Mater Manuf Eng 48 (2011) 52.Google Scholar
- 10.Ranganath S, J Mater Sci 32(1997) 1.Google Scholar
- 12.Jiang Q C, Ma B X, Wang H Y, Wang Y, and Dong Y P, Compos Part A 37 (2006) 133.Google Scholar
- 13.Kato O, and Kobashi M, J Mater Sci Res 1 (2012) 110.Google Scholar
- 28.Madhusudhan T, and Senthil Kumar M, Int J Mech Eng Technol 8 (2017) 82.Google Scholar
- 30.Voort G F V and Fowler R, Adv Mater Process 170 (2012) 28.Google Scholar
- 37.Frost H J, and Ashby M F, Deformation-Mechanism Maps The Plasticity and Creep of Metals and Ceramics, Pergamon, New York (1982), p 166.Google Scholar
- 38.Reddy A C, and Zitoun E, Int J Eng Sci Technol 3 (2011) 6090.Google Scholar