Fracture Toughness of Ti–15V–3Cr–3Sn–3Al Titanium Alloy in Different Heat-Treated Conditions
- 9 Downloads
Ti–15V–3Cr–3Sn–3Al (Ti–15–3) is a metastable β titanium alloy and is used in lightweight structures and gas storage tanks for aerospace applications. Tensile properties and fracture toughness (FT) of material are the significant inputs to the designer for finite-element analysis of structures. Fracture toughness data for Ti–15–3 alloy in different heat-treated conditions are not available. Hence, the present study is to evaluate the FT and tensile properties of Ti–15–3 alloy in different heat-treated conditions, namely solution treatment (ST) at 800 °C/30 min/AC, ST followed by aging at 538 °C/8 h/AC (say A1) and ST followed by aging at 482 °C/16 h/AC (say A2). The increase in tensile yield strength noticed in A1 and A2 conditions with respect to ST condition was 47% and 74%, respectively. The decrease in elongation (%) noticed in A1 and A2 conditions with respect to ST condition was 61% and 80%, respectively. Similarly, the decrease in FT values in A1 and A2 conditions with respect to ST condition was 43% and 57%, respectively.
KeywordsBeta titanium Ti–15V–3Cr–3Sn–3Al alloy Fracture toughness JIc Tensile properties Solution treatment and aged conditions
The authors wish to thank Director, VSSC, for his permission to publish this work.
- 1.Bania P J, in: Eylon D, Boyer R R, Beta Titanium Alloys in the 90’s, (ed) Koss D A, TMS, Warrendale, PA, (1993) pp 3–14.Google Scholar
- 2.Eylon D, in (eds) Kishi T, Tanaka N, Kagawa Y, Proceedings of the Third Japan SAMPE Symposium, SAMPE, Tokyo, (1993) pp 1588–1595.Google Scholar
- 6.Muneshwar P, Prakash K P, Naresh Kumar K, and Singh S K. In-house Deep Drawing Studies on highly cold formable Beta Titanium alloy (Ti-15-3-3). ISRO-VSSC-TR-0537-0-11.Google Scholar
- 7.Naresh Kumar K, Muneshwar P, Singh S K, and Jha A K, Effect of heat treatment parameters on hot rolled plates and section rolled bars of meta-stable beta titanium alloy (Ti15V3Al3Sn3Cr). ISRO-VSSC-TR-0713-0-13.Google Scholar
- 8.AMS 4914D, Titanium alloy cold rolled sheet and strip 15V3Al3Cr3Sn solution heat treated, Aerospace material specification.Google Scholar
- 9.ASTM E8, Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA (2011).Google Scholar
- 10.ASTM E1820, Standard Test Method for Measurement of Fracture Toughness, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA (2011).Google Scholar