Mineralogical Characterization and Gravity Separation of Lean Grade Mixed Copper Ore of Malanjkhand Deposit
- 23 Downloads
An in-depth mineralogical characterization has been carried out to develop a suitable beneficiation process route for a low-grade copper ore. Characterization and preliminary gravity separation studies were undertaken on low-grade Malanjkhand mixed copper ore to remove siliceous gangue and improve the copper grade. The characterization results indicated that the mixed copper ore was of very low grade (0.48% Cu) with a predominant amount of Quartz (74.12%) and with a moderate amount of feldspar and mica. The presence of chalcopyrite and pyrite in minor quantity along with malachite in traces was noted. Preliminary experiments were performed in a Mozley mineral separator by varying flow rate, amplitude and time to discard maximum quantity of liberated quartz. The optimum values of the variables for the efficient pre-concentration were determined based on the separation efficiency. The characterization and preliminary separation studies indicated that gravity-based separation could be opted for the pre-concentration of such mixed copper ore.
KeywordsMixed copper ore Characterization Pre-concentration Mozley Mineral Separator (MMS) Separation efficiency (SE) and enrichment ratio (ER)
The authors express their sincere thanks to controller general, Indian Bureau of Mines, Nagpur and the ore dressing division for kind support during the characterization studies. We thank Editor-in-Chief and the reviewer for their painstaking reviews to improve the quality of the manuscript.
- 1.Indian Minerals Yearbook (Part-II: Metals & Alloys), 53rd Edition Copper (2014), p 2.Google Scholar
- 2.Indian Minerals Yearbook (Part-II: Metals & Alloys), 56th Edition Copper (2017), p 5.Google Scholar
- 4.Prabhakar S, Raju G B, Misra V N, and Khangaonkar P R, in XIV Congress of the Council of Mining and Metallurgical Institutions, Scotland (2–3 July, 1990).Google Scholar
- 5.Ghosh S, Makode M N, Raju M S, and Satyanarayana K, in Proc of the Int Conf on Base Metal Tech, National Metallurgical Lab, Jamshedpur, India (1989), p 283.Google Scholar
- 6.Pal S C, Mehta K D, Avilash, Kumar V, Pandey B D, and Mankhand T R, in Proc Nat Sem Miner Biotech, Bhubaneswar (2007), p 110.Google Scholar
- 7.Pal S C, Mehta K D, Pandey B D, and Mankhand T R, in Int conf on emerging trends in Mineral Processing and extractive metallurgy, Bhubaneswar (ICME-2005), p 246.Google Scholar
- 13.Katwika C N, Kime M B, Kalenga P N M, Mbuya B I, and Mwilen T R, Miner Process Extra Metall Rev (2018) https://doi.org/10.1080/08827508.2018.1481057.
- 17.Mackay D A R, Simandl G J, Grcic B, Li C, Luck P, Redfearn M, and Gravel J, Geosci BC (2015).Google Scholar
- 18.Charan N, and Suresh N, in International Seminar on Mineral Processing Technology (2005), p 177.Google Scholar
- 21.Rao D S, Angadi S I, Muduli S D, and Nayak B D, AT Miner Process 51 (2010) 2.Google Scholar
- 22.Sinha V K, Patel Y S, Mandre N R, and Venugopal R, in National Workshop and Seminar on Sustainable Development of Coastal Placer Minerals (PLACER- 2004), p 196.Google Scholar
- 23.Kumar R, and Mandre N R, Trans Indian Inst Met (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-015-0667-9.
- 24.Schulz N F, Trans SME-AIME 56 (1970) 247.Google Scholar
- 25.Angadi S I, Eswaraiah C, Jeon H S, Mishra B K, and Miller J D, Miner Process Extra Metall Rev 38 (2017) 54.Google Scholar
- 27.Haldar S K, and Tišljar J, Introduction to Mineralogy and Petrology, Chapter 2-Basic Mineralogy (2014), p 39.Google Scholar
- 28.Wills B A, and Finch J A, Wills’ Mineral Processing Technology- An Introduction to the Practical Aspects of the Ore Treatment and Mineral Recovery, 18th Edition, Elsevier Science and Technology Books, Amsterdam (2016), p 223.Google Scholar
- 29.Wells D T, and Elliot A J, in XIV Int Miner Process Cong (1982).Google Scholar
- 30.Guest R N, Svoboda J, and Venter W J C, J S Afr Inst Min Metall 88 (1988) 21.Google Scholar
- 31.Svoboda J, Guest R N, and Venter W J C, J S Afr Inst Min Metall 88 (1988) 9.Google Scholar