On Development of Functionally Graded Material Through Fused Deposition Modelling Assisted Investment Casting from Al2O3/SiC Reinforced Waste Low Density Polyethylene
- 71 Downloads
The recycling of packaging materials such as low density polyethylene (LDPE) into useful product is one of the challenging tasks. Since waste LDPE has some issues like low mechanical strength and thermal degradation; some studies have been reported in recent past to improve these properties with ceramic/metallic reinforcements. In this work reusability of LDPE has been ascertained as functionally graded material (FGM) through aluminum (Al) matrix based investment casting (IC). This study highlights the use of SiC and Al2O3 as reinforcement in LDPE for IC applications as a novel method for development of FGM. The master patterns for IC were prepared from reinforced LDPE based feed stock filament (prepared on conventional screw extruder) on open source fused deposition modelling setup. The in-house prepared filament wire was subjected to mechanical and thermal testing to ensure recyclability and stability of the material. The photo micrographs and SEM images were collected to ensure the dispersion of SiC and Al2O3 reinforcements in Al based FGM.
KeywordsPolymer waste LDPE Fused Deposition Modelling Reinforcements SiC Al2O3 Investment Casting FGM
The authors are thankful to Department of Science and Technology (GoI) for financial support (DST/TSG/NTS/2014/104) for this project.
- 2.Chinnadurai T, Arungalai Vendan S, Rusu C C, and Scutelnicu E, Mater Manuf Process 69141 (2017) 1.Google Scholar
- 7.USEPA, Municipal Solid Waste in the United States: (2000) ‘Facts and Figures’ Executive Summary. Office of Solid Waste Management and Emergency Response (5305W), EPA530-S-02-001, June (2002).Google Scholar
- 8.USEPA, Municipal Solid Waste in the United States: (2007) ‘Facts and Figures’ Executive Summary. Office of Solid Waste Management and Emergency Response (5306P), EPA530-R-08-010, November (2008).Google Scholar
- 11.Scheirs J, Polymer Recycling: Science, Technology and Applications. Wiley, Chichester (1998).Google Scholar
- 17.Ferrando H E, Cribier J F, Vega D, Bosch-Masgrau F, Sánchez-Soto M, and LIMaspoch M, Polym Recycl 6 (2001) 187.Google Scholar
- 18.Cruz F, Lanza S, Boudaoud H, Hoppe S, and Camargo M, August Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium—An Additive Manufacturing Conference, Austin, Texas (USA), 2015, pp 10–12.Google Scholar
- 19.EPIC (2003) Environmental and Plastics Industry Council, Management of Plastics in EOL Electronics. Special News and Views Report.Google Scholar
- 24.Singh K, Nanda T, and Mehta R, Mater Manuf Process 6914 (2017) 1.Google Scholar
- 28.Le M T, and Huang S C, Mater Manuf Process 6914 (2015) 1.Google Scholar
- 46.Indian Patent Application No. 2847/DEL/2013, Dated 26-09-2013, Development of Metal Matrix Composite (MMC) by Two Stages Hybridization of Fused Deposition Modelling (FDM) and Investment Casting (IC).Google Scholar