Temperature Distribution During Friction Stir Welding of AA2014 Aluminum Alloy: Experimental and Statistical Analysis
- 22 Downloads
FSW has shown great potential to weld AA2014 heat-treatable aluminum alloy. But the effectiveness of joint in FSW depends on the temperature distribution across the length and width of weld zone. The present study aims to investigate the temperature distribution during FSW of AA2014 alloy. The temperatures were recorded at eight different positions by inserting K-type thermocouples on pre-drilled AA2014 alloy under different process parameters like tool rotation (N), welding speed (v) and tilt angle. These temperatures were recorded using two thermocouple layouts: First layout was “equal distance and same depth” on advancing side (AS) whereas second layout was “equal distance and varying depth” on retreating side (RS). Experimental results showed that by increasing the N/v ratio, the peak temperature increased whereas the peak temperature decreased by decreasing the N/v ratio. On the other hand, effect of tool tilt angle on peak temperature was also found to be significant and confirmed by experimental as well as statistical analysis. Furthermore, it was concluded that temperature was higher on AS compared to the RS. The conclusion drawn from statistical analysis was in good agreement with experimental results.
KeywordsFriction stir welding Temperature Tool rotation speed Tool tilt angle Welding speed
The authors wish to thank Mr. Ramesh Prajapati, Lab Assistant, of Mechanical Engineering, IITRAM University, Ahmedabad for his help in manufacturing tools for FSW. The authors also thank PDPU, Gandhinagar, for extending the research facilities for the present work.
- 1.Thomas W, Nicholas E, Needham J C, Murch M, Templesmith P, and Dawes C, in International Patent Application no. PCT/GB92102203 and Great Britain Patent Application (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.Godhani P S, Patel V V, Vora J J, Chaudhary N D, and Banka R, in Innovations in Infrastructure, Springer: Singapore (2019).Google Scholar
- 11.Perumalla Janaki Ramulu R G N, Experimental study on temperature evolution during friction stir welding of 6061-T6 Aluminum alloy, in Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR 2014) (2014).Google Scholar
- 27.Patel V, Li W, and Xu Y, Mater Manuf Process 34 (2019) 177.Google Scholar
- 30.Rajendran C, Srinivasan K, Balasubramanian V, Balaji H, and Selvaraj P, Aust J Mech Eng (2017) 1.Google Scholar
- 33.Prasanth R S S, and Hans Raj K, Trans Indian Inst Metals 71 (2018) 453.Google Scholar
- 36.Krishnaiah K, and Shahabudeen P, Applied Design of Experiments and Taguchi Methods, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi (2012).Google Scholar