Occurrence mechanism and prediction of rocky land degradation in karst mountainous basins with the aid of GIS technology, a study case in Houzhai River Basin in southwestern China
Rocky desertification is a severe ecological issue threatening and constraining regional sustainable development in karst mountainous areas like Houzhai River Basin in southwestern China. The results indicate that slope gradient and altitude are closely associated with occurrence of rocky desertification in the study region and there are some significant correlations between rock outcrop and slope gradient (r = 0.363, p < 0.001) and between rock outcrop and altitude (r = 0.0.336, p < 0.001). Slope gradient and altitude are key factors contributing to rocky desertification in the studied basin. Therefore, special attention should be paid to sloping lands that have greater slope gradients or altitudes to prevent and control the rocky desertification in a karst mountainous basin as the Houzhai River Basin. Furthermore, it might be possible to predict the occurrence of rocky desertification using neural networks on the basis of geographical characteristics and human disturbance. The correlation coefficients between observed values and predicted values ranged from 0.728 to 0.905, with a mean value of 0.851 (ten times repeats). The present study also indicates that human disturbance has little effect on rocky desertification. However, further studies should be conducted to interpret the effects of agricultural activities on the occurrence of rocky desertification.
KeywordsRocky desertification Rock outcrops Slope gradient Karst basin Land use Landform
This work was financially supported by The National Key Basic Research Development Program (Grant no. 2013CB956702); The Great Basic Research Fund of Guizhou Province (Grant no. QKH-JZ-2014-200203); and The 100 High Level Innovating Project (Grant no. QKHRC-2015-4022).
- Cheng F, Lu HF, Ren H, Zhou L, Zhang LH, Li J, Lu XJ, Huang DW, Zhao D (2017) Integrated energy and economic evaluation of three typical rocky desertification control modes in karst areas of Guizhou Province, China. J Clean Prod 161:1104–1128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.05.065 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fan MY, Li TJ, Hu JW, Cao RS, Wei XH, Shi XD, Ruan WQ (2017) Artificial neural network modeling and genetic algorithm optimization for cadmium removal from aqueous solutions by reduced grapheme oxide-supported nanoscale Zero-Valent Iron (nZVI/rGO) composites. Materials 10:1–22. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma10050544 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nelson DW, Sommers LE (1996) Total carbon, organic carbon, andorganic matter. In: Page AL, Agronomy Ed et al (eds) Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 3, vol 9, 2nd edn. Soc. of Agron., Inc., Madison, WI, p 961–1010Google Scholar
- Nong SQ (2007) Rock desertification status analysis in karst areas of Guangxi and control measures. Guangxi For Sci 36:170–172 (In Chinese with English abstract) Google Scholar
- Rumelhart DE, Hinton GE, Williams RJ (1986) Learning internal representation by error propagation. In: Rumelhart DE, McClleland JL (eds) Parallel distributed processing: exploration in the microstructure of cognition, Chap. 8, vol 1. MIT Press, Cambridge,Google Scholar
- Su WC, Yang H, Li Q, Guo Y, Chen ZQ (2006) Rocky land desertification and its controlling measurements in the karst mountainous region, Southwest of China. Chin J Soil Sci 37(3):447–451 (In Chinese with English abstract) Google Scholar
- Yassoglou N (2000) History of desertification in the European Mediterranean. In: Enne G, D’Angelo M, Zanolla C (eds) Indicators for assessing desertification in the Mediterranean. Proceedings of the international seminar held in Porto Torres, Italy, 18–20 September, 1998. University of Sassari Nucleo Ricerca Desertificazion, Sassari, Italy, pp 9–15Google Scholar
- Yuan DX (1997) Rock desertification in the subtropical karst of south China. Z Geomorphol 108:81–90Google Scholar
- Zhang YZ, Hu JR, Xi HY, Zhu YL, Chen DM (2011b) Analysis of rocky desertification monitoring using MODIS data in western Guangxi, China. In: Chen D (ed) Advances in data, methods, models and their applications in geoscience. InTech, Shanghai, pp 299–312Google Scholar
- Zhou YC, Wang SJ, Lu HM (2010) Spatial distribution of soils during the process of rocky desertification. Earth Environ 38:1–7 (in Chinese with an English abstract) Google Scholar