Large-scale rainfall–runoff–inundation modeling for upper Citarum River watershed, Indonesia
- 103 Downloads
The Citarum River is one of the strategic rivers in West Java, Indonesia. Its total watershed area is approximately 1800 km2. Almost every year, the overflow from the Citarum River causes the inundation of most of the upper Citarum River watershed. To prevent and mitigate flood damage, it is necessary to understand the flooding characteristics. The region, however, suffers from a lack of observational data. Therefore, to analyze the inundation caused by flooding in the upper Citarum River watershed, a rainfall–runoff–inundation (RRI) model was employed. It used the following multiple satellite-derived datasets as input data as well as for model verification: Global Satellite Mapping of Precipitation, Hydrological data and maps based on Shuttle elevation Derivatives at multiple scales, Global Mosaics of the standard MODIS land cover type data product, and Landsat 7 satellite images. Parameter calibration was performed using a Monte Carlo simulation. The simulation was performed for February 2010. The results of this study show that the RRI model identifies inundation areas in large-scale river watersheds more effectively when using multiple satellite-derived datasets compared with the observed inundation map obtained from JICA in 2010 and Landsat 7 images. The model results can be improved if high-quality observed rainfall data, topographic data, and river cross-sectional data are available.
KeywordsRRI model Upper Citarum River GSMaP HydroSHEDS MCD12Q1 Landsat 7
This research was supported by a Grant (11-TI-C06) from Advanced Water Management Research Program funded by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korean government.
- Delta Alliance (2014) Jakarta climate adaption tools (JCAT). Project report, p 137Google Scholar
- Hunter NM, Bates PD, Horritt MS, Wilson MD (2007) Simple spatially-distributed models for predicting flood inundation: a review. J Geomorphol 90(3–4):208–225Google Scholar
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) (2010) The preparatory survey for Upper Citarum Basin tributaries flood management project in Indonesia. Final Report. Flood Extent 2010, Appendix IGoogle Scholar
- KOMPAS (2010) Pemadaman listrik hingga air surut (in Indonesian language) [online]. http://nasional.kompas.com/read/2010/02/09/16165221/Pemadaman.Listrik.Hingga.Air.Surut. Accessed 20 Oct 2015
- Kusuma MSB, Kuntoro AA, Silasari R (2012) Preparedness effort toward climate change adaption in upper Citarum River basin, West Java, Indonesia. In: Paper presented at the international symposium on social management system-SSMS 2012Google Scholar
- Ministry of Public Works (MPW) (2010) Penanganan banjir cekungan Bandung [Powerpoint presentation]. Retrieved from Directorate General of Water Resources, Ministry of Public WorksGoogle Scholar
- Sayama T, Fukami K, Tanaka S, Takeuchi K (2010) Rainfall-runoff-inundation analysis for flood risk assessment at the regional scale. In: Proceedings of the fifth conference of Asia Pasific association of hydrology and water resources (APHW), pp 568–576Google Scholar
- Takara K, Yamashiki Y, Ibrahim AB (2009) Study on early warning system for shallow landslides in the upper Citarum River catchment, Indonesia. Annu Disaster Prev Res Inst Kyoto Univ 52(B):9–17Google Scholar
- Vieux BE (2004) Distributed hydrologic modeling using GIS, 2nd edn. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 293 pGoogle Scholar