Maxillofacial Nursing: Assessing the Knowledge and Awareness of Nurses in Handling Maxillofacial Injuries Through a Comprehensive Survey
To assess the knowledge and awareness of nurses in handling maxillofacial injuries.
A cross-sectional questionnaire study was conducted among the staff nurses of the multi-specialty Gokul Newtech Hospital, Jamnagar, Gujarat. Forty nursing staff were included in the study. Kruskal–Wallis ANOVA, Spearman’s correlation and Mann–Whitney U tests were applied for statistical analysis.
There was no statistically significant difference between the mean knowledge score concerning the study participant’s age, work experience, and education. According to the survey, a majority of the nurses either did not know the answer or answered incorrectly.
It can be concluded that there is a requirement of new guidelines and recommendations in the existing teaching and training modules being followed by the nursing schools across the country.
KeywordsMaxillofacial injuries Nursing assistants Oral surgical procedure School Nursing Nursing assessment Nursing audits
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no conflict of interest.
- 1.Eberad K, Schilli W (1982) Oral and maxillofacial traumatology. Chicago Quintessence Publishing Co, Chicago, pp 308–370Google Scholar
- 2.Thoma KH (1969) Fracture of mandible. In: Oral surgery, vol 1, 5th edn. C.V. Mosby Company Ltd, pp 524–571Google Scholar
- 3.Fonseca Raymond J (1991) Oral and maxillofacial trauma, vol 1, 2nd edn. W B Saunders Company, Pennsylvania, pp 359–414Google Scholar
- 4.Fonseca Raymond J (2005) Oral and maxillofacial trauma, vol 2, 3rd edn. Elsevier Saunders Company, Pennsylvania, pp 1132–1164Google Scholar
- 6.Harrison MG, Shepherd JP (1999) The circumstances and scope for prevention of maxillofacial injuries in cyclists. J R Coll Surg Edinb 44:82–86Google Scholar
- 7.World Health Organization. World health day theme-2004. Last cited on 2004. Available from: http://www.worldhealthorganization
- 14.Lau SL (2014) Do you think they know about us? Oral and maxillofacial surgery in Hong Kong. J Dent Health Oral Disord Ther 1(2):00011Google Scholar