Maxillofacial Osteomyelitis in Immunocompromised Patients: A Demographic Retrospective Study
To retrospectively study the cases diagnosed with osteomyelitis of jaw in AMC Dental Hospital.
A total of 27 cases of osteomyelitis of jaw were analysed retrospectively from 2014 to 2018 at Department of oral and maxillofacial surgery, AMC Dental Hospital, Ahmedabad, India.
Totally 27 cases of osteomyelitis were noted; 12 (44.44%) patients had involvement of maxilla, and 15 (55.55%) patients had involvement of the mandible. Twenty-one patients had underlying systemic disease, and 13 patients had history of substance abuse. The underlying aetiology in 20 patients was found due to odontogenic cause. There were only 3 patients having osteomyelitis without any underlying disease or any other predisposing factors.
Incidence of osteomyelitis and its outcome in the present study led to a better understanding of the aetiologic factors and its treatment. The results hypothesized a substantial correlation for onset of osteomyelitis with the underlying medical conditions and substance abuse. There was a higher correlation found between comorbid conditions and osteomyelitis of maxilla. Thorough study of the treatment revealed that conventional treatment plan is adequate for treating cases of osteomyelitis if the associated medical problem is also simultaneously treated and given due importance.
KeywordsOsteomyelitis Jaws Immunocompromised condition Substance abuse
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Topazian RG, Goldberg MH, Hupp JR (eds) (2002) Oral and maxillofacial infections, 4th edn. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, pp 214–242Google Scholar
- 2.Marx RE (1991) Acute osteomyelitis of the jaws. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 3(2):367–381Google Scholar
- 7.Nelaton A (1844) Elements de pathologie chirurgicale. Germer-Bailliere, ParisGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gudmundsson T, Torkov P, Thygesen TH (2017) Diagnosis and treatment of osteomyelitis of the jaw: a systematic review (2002–2015) of the literature. J Dent Oral Disord 3(4):1066Google Scholar
- 16.Eckardt JJ, Wirganowicz PZ, Mar T (1994) An aggressive surgical approach to the management of chronic osteomyelitis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 298:229–239Google Scholar