Fractional wavelet transform based OFDM system with cancellation of ICI
- 2 Downloads
The future of wireless communication systems stimulate researchers to improve bandwidth efficiency and data rate by carrying out several analyses. The reliability of multiple input multiple output (MIMO) combined with orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) in wireless communication is reduced by frequency error. This leads to damage of orthogonality between sub-carriers and induces inter carrier interference (ICI). To overcome this problem in conventional OFDM system, cyclic prefix is used. In this work, a novel technique named fractional wavelet transform (FrWT) is proposed. The FrWT reduces the effect of ICI in conventional system without any usage of cyclic prefix. Also, the bandwidth efficiency is improved due to its orthogonal wavelets and absence of cyclic prefix. The proposed work investigates the performance of FrWT-OFDM model and tested against carrier frequency offsets. The efficiency of ICI self cancellation technique in mitigating the effect of frequency offsets is analysed. The efficiency of proposed model is highlighted by comparing with existing FFT and wavelet based OFDM system by means of bit error rate (BER). Simulation results show reduced BER of 10−4.8 at 8 dB SNR for the proposed model with a normalized carrier frequency offset value of 0.1. Thus the effect of ICI is reduced efficiently for proposed transform in OFDM.
KeywordsFFT Frequency offsets Fractional Wavelet Inter carrier interference ICI self-cancellation OFDM BER
There are no funding sources for carrying out this work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Abdel-Basset M, Manogaran G, Rashad H, Zaied ANH (2018) A comprehensive review of quadratic assignment problem: variants, hybrids and applications. J Ambient Intell Humaniz Comput 1:1–24Google Scholar
- Ayeswarya R, Amutha Prabha N (2018a) FrWT based OFDM system. Int J Pure Appl Math 119(12):265–273Google Scholar
- Ayeswarya R, Prabha NA (2018b) A comprehensive review: techniques of CFO estimation and mitigation in OFDM. Int J Appl Eng Res 13(16):12738–12746Google Scholar
- Bahai AR, Saltzberg BR, Ergen M (2004) Multi-carrier digital communications: theory and applications of OFDM. Springer science and Business media, Berlin, USGoogle Scholar
- Bhatnagar G, Raman B (2009) Encryption based robust watermarking in fractional wavelet domain. In: Grgic M, Delac K, Ghanbari M (eds) Recent advances in multimedia signal processing and communications. Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol 231. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp 375–416CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen E, Tao R, Meng X, (2006) The OFDM system based on the fractional Fourier transform. In Innovative Computing, Information and Control, 2006. ICICIC’06. First International Conference on (Vol. 3, pp. 14–17). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Han B, Gao X, You X, Costa E, (2003) A DFT-based ICI self-cancellation scheme for OFDM systems. In Communication Technology Proceedings, 2003. ICCT 2003. International Conference on (Vol. 2, pp. 1359–1362). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- IEEE (2015) ISO/IEC/IEEE International Standard - Information technology—telecommunications and information exchange between systems-Local and metropolitan area networks-specific requirements-part 22: cognitive wireless RAN medium access control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications: Policies and procedures for operation in the TV Band, ISO/IEC/IEEE 8805–22:2015, pp. 1–678Google Scholar
- Kumari S, Rai SK, Kumar A, Joshi HD, Saxena R, (2013) Closed form relations for ICI and BER in FRFT based OFDM system. In Advance Computing Conference (IACC), 2013 IEEE 3rd International (pp. 708–712). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Kumutha D, Prabha NA (2017) Hybrid STBC-PTS with enhanced artificial bee colony algorithm for PAPR reduction in MIMO-OFDM system. J Ambient Intell Humaniz Comput 1:1–17Google Scholar
- Nafchi AR, Hamke E, Jordan R, Santhanam B, (2017), October. Bit Error Rate (BER) analysis of Discrete Fractional Fourier Transform (DFrFT) based OFDM systems. In Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics and Mobile Communication Conference (UEMCON), 2017 IEEE 8th Annual (pp. 485–487). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Tian H, Wang PG, Zheng W, (2012) A new image fusion algorithm based on fractional wavelet transform. In Computer Science and Network Technology (ICCSNT), 2012 2nd International Conference on (pp. 2175–2178). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Van Nee R, Prasad R (2000) OFDM for wireless multimedia communications. Artech House Publishers, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Xu X, Wang Y, Yang G, Hu Y, (2016b) Image enhancement method based on fractional wavelet transform. In Signal and Image Processing (ICSIP), IEEE International Conference on (pp. 194–197). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Yu S, Dai H, Wu K, Zhou G, Cheng X, Xu C, (2015) Performance analysis for WFRFT-OFDM systems to carrier frequency offset in doubly selective fading channels. In Intelligent Control and Information Processing (ICICIP), 2015 Sixth International Conference on (pp. 6–10). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Zhao Y, Haggman SG, (1996) Sensitivity to Doppler shift and carrier frequency errors in OFDM systems-the consequences and solutions. In Vehicular Technology Conference, 1996. Mobile Technology for the Human Race., IEEE 46th (Vol. 3, pp. 1564–1568). IEEEGoogle Scholar